CHAPTER 30

Maybe I was overreacting, being a little hypocritical of the situation, but after knowing Bryn for almost ten years, I'd somehow decided that I never expected him to be in a relationship. It was pretty unfair to him, but I selfishly though I knew him better than I did, that I should have known something like this was going on. It just felt... weird. I was upset he hadn't said anything, but at the same time felt stupid that I expected him to tell me of all people.

I wasn't angry at him, or jealous, but I also wasn't entirely sure if I should have felt happy and proud of him either. Worried, that seemed like the right word. I was worried about him. Why not? He was the closest thing to a friend I'd ever had, even if he had tried to kill me when we first met, and Logan was an assassin I had a hand in training; an assassin who tried to take my head off not ten minutes ago.

So yea, I was really worried about Bryn, and confused about the situation, but I didn't want to interfere or step out from behind the tree to reveal myself and get in between them, because what right did I have to worry or care? Would Bryn even listen or acknowledge my concern? I doubted it.

In the end I quietly backed away, pulling my hand from my mouth and leaving the two of them so I could sneak my way out of the cemetery and shuffle my way back towards the house.

So much for wanting to talk to Bryn about Tobias...

I stared down as I walked, my mind wandering. Should I keep what I saw a secret, or tell Tobias? They were close friends, if anyone would already know about the possible relationship between Bryn and Logan, then it would be Tobias. There was a chance he did know, but should I risk it? How would he even react? The last thing I wanted to do was lie or keep things from him, but I knew so little about the situation on my own, it would probably be better to keep it to myself for now, at least until I managed to talk to Bryn about everything first.

Lost in thought, not realizing where I was going, just following the path that I saw at my feet until I'd passed through a doorway and was suddenly looking at a concrete floor. It was only then I stopped worrying about Logan in order to lift my head and glance at my surroundings, tensing considerably when I noticed the large room I'd entered. It was a bit cold, the walls and floors made of concrete and cinder-blocks, the ceiling high and the glass in the windows yellowing.

There were dummies set up, mannequins with targets painted on to them, gymnastics mats on parts of the floor and racks of plastic and wooden weapons. Without thinking I'd followed the path away from the back door and instead found myself in the training arena, where a crowd of men and women from both the rebellion and the Fer-de-Lance were training, all their talking making a low roar in the room that had my head hurting and my knees going weak.

I had the worst luck it seemed, trying to back up as my eyes flashed around the area, looking for someone familiar, or some easy escape route. I could always dart out the door that I'd entered through. that would probably be the easiest and fastest way to go, but when I turned to do just that I came face to face with a young man staring at me with dark, piercing eyes.

His sudden appearance had me gasping and jumping back, nearly falling as he leaned towards me with a frown on his lips.

"You're that guy from the Con Rồng, the one who was nearly dead when he got here. The one who kidnapped my cousin."

My fingers pulled at the sleeves of my sweater as I took another step back, eyes wide. That's who this kid was, Efren Andrada. I'd only seen him once during a meeting, and never talked to him much, but he said the same thing back then, that I was the one who kidnapped his cousin. The one who kidnapped Demi.

"Abbot, right?" he asked, and I flinched, shaking my head.

"Flo-Florian," I corrected, "I'm married."