CHAPTER 36

It finally felt like spring, with the mornings crisp and cold, growing warmer as the day wore on, the sun heating the settlement like it was a burner. I was more used to the cold, and personally didn't mind it much aside from the fact I got sick so easily. I grew up in murky weather, it was just something I was comfortable with, but I did enjoy the occasional warm days. I wouldn't lie, though, even if the sun shone, I didn't feel comfortable enough to wear something other than the long sleeved flannels I had a remarkable surplus of.

I just wasn't comfortable wearing short sleeves, especially in public. It was really the little things that made me nervous, and I was sure other people would say I was overreacting a bit if I actually voiced my concerns. Short sleeves would show too much skin, for one thing, and I didn't want anyone to see my scars. The discoloration of skin around both my wrists from the rough metal cuffs that held me in the air, the brutal white line down my forearm, and all the other marks marring my arms from Roy's torture.

The only time I ever wore short sleeves was if I was alone with Tobias, normally when we were sleeping. I had a habit of wearing his shirts to bed, somehow it made me feel a lot safer, and some of his shirts had short sleeves, but I didn't want to wear that kind of shirt in front of anyone else. I could barely stand Tobias seeing the scars, because of the guilty look on his face whenever he looked at them. I hated when he gave that look.

So even if it would be hot out later that day, I pulled on a flannel over the shorter sleeved undershirt, buttoning the front as I sat perched on the edge of the bed. Tobias would be busy that day, I reminded myself of what he'd told me the night before while we were falling asleep. He needed to supervise the Syndicate members as they got comfortable at the base and started to organize the supplies they'd brought along. He and Bryn would help the rebellion take a count of their weapons, as well as the rest of their supplies, before contacting Madeline back in Austria with the next order.

It still made me feel a bit odd, that Tobias was basically giving away his supplies without pay, simply because the rebellion took care of me for a bit. Granted that was definitely the kind of thing Tobias would do, so I wasn't surprised, and Bryn hadn't been either, but this kind of thing would just cause more friction between the Syndicate and me. The rebellion already have mixed feelings about me, I didn't want Tobias' people to hate me too.

I shook my head to rid the thoughts and looked up. Since Tobias would be around weapons that day, I couldn't really tag along. He didn't like me near weapons, for my own safety, and frankly I didn't want to be near weapons anymore either. It was a miracle he let me keep Demi's knife for emergencies, honestly. So, I decided to take a walk instead, both grateful that Tobias was giving me a bit of freedom, and also wary.

Tobias was sitting in the armchair beside the open window, the curtain pushed aside to let in more light as he flipped through a folder. When I got close to him I saw he was looking through what looked like reports regarding the members of the Syndicate that had shown up, written completely in German so I couldn't tell what they said. There were photos of each soldier paper-clipped to the upper right hand corner of their reports. I was curious as to what he was doing, but decided it was none of my business.

I wrapped my arms around Tobias from behind, leaning down to place a kiss to his cheek, "Adalwolf said I should visit the barn when I had free time," I revealed, head leaned against his, "Something about animals being therapeutic."

Tobias hummed at that, reaching up to squeeze one of my hands, "That's fine. I overheard Arthur talking with Bethany, evidently they have sheep here," he lifted his head to smile at me, and though I felt excited about that, I decided to give him a pout.

"Oh, I'm Welsh so I automatically like sheep?"

"Please," Tobias chuckled, leaning closer so he could kiss my chin, which was the closest to him, "Don't wander too far, just to the barn and back. I'll probably be occupied most of the day with this, but Adalwolf should be free if you need to talk to someone, and Klaus is keeping an eye on Diego if you start getting uncomfortable and need some kind of protection. Come back to the room if you need a break, don't stress yourself pointlessly."