CHAPTER 7

"Fucking hell," the voice was somewhat familiar, but I couldn't seem to place a name or a face to it as my eyes opened slowly.

My body felt heavy, and my vision was blurry around the edges, like I was drunk or drugged up with serious medication. I felt... wrong, like I was awake, but not really awake. I couldn't seem to move my arms or my legs or my head, I couldn't even blink, and at first it scared me, until I wondered why it even mattered. There wasn't much of a reason to move, was there?

Whatever state I was in, even if it felt strange, like an out of body experience, it was peaceful in a way. I wasn't thinking of all the bad things, I wasn't thinking at all, I was just lying somewhere remarkably soft. I could feel my head and shoulders lying against several pillows, the back of the bed elevated so I could sort of see the room I was in.

It was strange how I could feel my body even though I couldn't move it. I could feel the squeeze of thick bandages wrapping around the entire expanse of my chest and stomach, down my arms and wrists, my hands, and my fingers, even my feet and my legs, and there was a thin cushion just beneath my knees, propping them up.

There was a needle in my skin, stabbed into the crease of my right elbow, I could feel the pinch and the throbbing around the area, as well as the tape keeping it in place, in my vein. An IV drip, I assumed. The throbbing skin around the IV needle was all I could feel, because the rest of my body had been numbed. The most pain I felt came from my hips, but I never reacted to the sting that raced up my spine. Just laid there.

My mind was fuzzy, smashed together like laverbread, so it took me a long time to remember what had happened, the fact Bay was the one who put me in this position, injured me so severely. Where was I then? How did I get here? It was difficult to piece together everything, but I did remember Roy letting me escape, and I remembered the car breaking down. I was forced to walk for what must have been days before I came across a Phoniks Vidroh checkpoint.

That's right, I remembered now. Dakota was there, he saw me and had the rebellion stand down so they wouldn't shoot me. Shame, I would have been fine with that. Which meant right now I was at the rebellion's base? I couldn't really tell since I'd never been here before, the room itself was completely new.

It appeared to be an infirmary of some kind, but small, only holding one bed, like a private hospital suite. There was a door on the wall in front of me that lead to a small washroom, a large window covered with lavender curtains, the walls were a soft brown color, like an organic eggshell, and it gave the entire room a very soothing feeling, but I could also feel tension stringing out around the people standing around the bed.

For a while I didn't even notice them all, I was too busy staring at the curtains, but when I felt a hand on my forehead, I inevitably came face to face with a young man with blond hair, bright silver-blue eyes, and glasses. He was wearing a white lab coat, so I assumed he was the doctor. Probably the "adorable doctor" Tobias mentioned.

He flashed a small light into both eyes before making a noise, like a hum, "No sign of concussion, no bleeding of the brain," he snapped his fingers in front of my face, but I didn't blink, "Conscious but unresponsive."

"That's not good, is it?" the voice from before muttered gruffly, and the doctor sighed heavily.

"He appears to be in a catatonic state. Considering the physical and most likely mental trauma, I'm really not surprised."

"Fuck that's not good," a third voice hissed, and the doctor reached towards me, brushing my untamable bangs away from my eyes, looking incredibly distressed.

"Can you do anything, Arthur?" yet another voice asked, and the doctor, I assumed this was Arthur, sighed heavily.

"No. This kind of thing just has to take its course. We can try coaxing him out of this state of mind, but we have to be careful. Nothing violent, we have to be gentle, talking to him, maybe trying and spark good memories, something to wake him up, so to speak."