CHAPTER 49

It almost felt like we were in a real modern hospital, sitting in the waiting room outside surgery where Adalwolf had been working on Logan for what seemed like hours now. Adalwolf had been a reputable surgeon before the world had ended, with years of successful surgeries under his belt, certified to perform extensive surgery on the heart, lungs, and even the brain, but my hands still shook in unease and fear.

That was in the past, when we had complicated medical equipment that actually worked. We may have been in a hospital, but did any of this old stuff even work? Not only that, but it's not like we had a large handful of doctors at our disposal, and Adalard wasn't here either. He normally worked alongside Adalwolf when there was a serious injury that needed to be dealt with, but he was back at the Inou estate taking care of Ross Duncan.

The only people Adalwolf had with him were Arthur and Orion. A general doctor and a nurse, both who'd still been in college when the bombs fell and interrupted their education. It wasn't like I didn't trust them or their skills, this just seemed like a complicated procedure. There were other assistants helping, people who had worked alongside Arthur, but already two of them had left the surgery with pale faces, clearly unable to help during a procedure like this.

The waiting area was deathly quiet as I sat, hands clenched together, Tobias sitting beside me with an arm wrapped tightly around my shoulders, holding me close. Bryn was on his other side, leaning forward with his elbows against his knees, dried blood still staining his hands, which were folded tightly, eyes staring down at them.

Beckett and Carina were in the room too, sitting in chairs across from us. Carina's eyes were red and confused, lying his head against Cass' shoulder as the former marine stroked a hand through his hair, staring off into his own memories, a wince on his face. I could imagine what he was remembering, and looked to the left of him where Kailas was leaning against the wall, one hand pressed to his chest, rubbing at it, a furrow to his brow.

Demi was basically glued to his side, one arm behind his back in an attempt to calm him down, but frankly I didn't think Kailas should be there, especially while we waited for news on a friend who got shot in the chest. This was essentially a repeat of what happened to him, shot in the chest and rushed to the hospital for surgery that barely kept him alive. It gave me hope, in a way, because he did survive it. Maybe... maybe Logan would too.

We all looked up when the door opened across from surgery and Ethan walked in with Sean, "There were eight bodies in total," Ethan revealed as Sean shut the door with a soft click, "One of them we think was Roy Thompson, and one of them," he glanced at Tobias, "was one of yours."

"Mine?" Tobias gaped at him.

"Reiner," Bryn said, and Tobias turned to him, "He helped Vinet Ivanov get in without detection... and the others as well."

"Half of them were from Bay's military, the other half...," I trailed off, hesitating, guilty that we'd been distracted by the sniper, but grateful all the leaders were here safe, "What Roy mentioned before about Vinet's contacts... she enlisted the help of a mob from Russia, the same people who helped her escape the country after her discharge. Roy called them Chamomile."

"Are they dangerous?" Ethan asked, and I nodded.

"I haven't seen them in action, but if they had the power to help Vinet stay hidden for so long, long enough to help Bay kidnap people and start a coup to destroy the world, then yea, they're probably dangerous."

"They have a man with them, from the Russian mob, an assassin," Bryn explained, "He was sent here to get into the hospital and eliminate the leaders of the rebellion and Syndicate."

"Because that's going to happen," Demi scoffed, and I shook my head.

"Don't underestimate this man, Demi," I warned, and he narrowed his eyes, "We didn't see him fight, but he... he looks dangerous at first glance."