Chapter Seventeen

The last thing Milo wanted to hear was that his brother was finding himself in trouble again

The last thing Milo wanted to hear was that his brother was finding himself in trouble again. Found at the scene of the crime where Filch's cat had been petrified, it certainly wasn't good news for Hary and after an eventful first year, Milo assumed the boy didn't want to be involved in any more drama. Unfortunately, the Potter boys didn't have much of a say in the entire matter. However, Filch and Snape were out to condemn Harry as they suspected him to be behind Mrs Norris' attack but it appeared Dumbledore had come to Harry's defence finally. The Headmaster explained that no second year would be capable of such magic but as Milo thought to himself, he wondered what student was capable of such dark magic. 

During the early morning, Milo forced himself out of bed in order to speak with his brother, hoping that Harry would be in the Great Hall. Much to his delight, Harry was there, although he was looking awfully troubled sitting at the Gryffindor table. As he made his way over, he was suddenly approached by Katie.

"Milo!" She greeted him with a hug, "I feel like we haven't spoken in ages. I thought we could hang out yesterday during the Halloween feast but Cedric told me you left the grounds with your mother."

Milo was incredibly distracted as he felt the need to talk to his brother but he didn't want to brush Katie off either. Not to be mean to the girl, but since he had spent a great deal of the summer among his other friends, Katie had taken a back seat to the people that he normally spent time with. Suddenly, he felt bad that she wasn't even aware that he was going to be off castle grounds. He didn't want to make it seem like he was blowing her off. After all, Katie had been one of his closest friends when he started up at Hogwarts and one of the most encouraging.

The amount of time he had been spending among Cedric, Heidi, and Max, along with the twins and Lee, definitely was cutting into all of his free time. He felt neglectful towards his other friends all of a sudden, bringing a frown to his face.

"I'm sorry, Katie," Milo told her in a small voice, "I've just been busy and I feel like I've been pulled in so many directions since the summer. "

"Milo, you don't have to apologise to me," Katie chuckled, "I just want to make sure that you're alright. I know Halloween has always been tough for you and I think it's great that you and your mother left the castle yesterday to spend time together. You didn't miss out on much except for this whole Chamber nonsense."

"So I've heard," Milo said. But before he could say anything else to the girl such as making plans to hang out, Paden slipped down from the boy's hair to his shoulder and started chirping obnoxiously loud. The two children stared at him in bewilderment before Paden blew a raspberry in the girl's face. 

"Paden!" Milo quickly grabbed the bowtruckle from his shoulder and began apologising to Katie once more. "I am so sorry! I think he's still rather upset that I didn't let him have the sleepover with Cedric last night. I was so tired from everything, I just wanted to go to bed and...Paden! Where are your manners?!"