Chapter Eighteen

Milo was thankful to have his mother standing in his corner, especially during times where he felt incredibly insecure. He knew he shouldn't compare himself to his brother but it was difficult not to do so when everyone else around him seemed to. He understood that Harry probably didn't want all the attention that he received especially as of late as everyone had come to label him as the Heir of Slytherin. Although Milo scoffed at such accusations, knowing very well that none of their family descended from Slytherin, but then Harry felt the need to confess to his brother one afternoon. Milo was coming out from Herbology, knowing he had to meet Cedric and the Hufflepuff team for Quidditch practice when he spotted Harry waiting for him.

"Harry, is everything alright?" Milo questioned with a concerned look. Harry nodded before pulling his brother to the side. He looked around to make sure that they were alone before he decided to confess his sins. 

"I haven't been completely honest about things," Harry whispered to him and Milo prepared himself to hear the worse come from his brother's mouth. He couldn't imagine what Harry had been lying about and he really hoped it had nothing to do with the Chamber of Secrets.

"What is it, Harry?" Milo directed him to walk towards the lake for a better sense of privacy.

"Back when I was to be sorted, the Sorting Hat...well, it didn't choose Gryffindor right away," Harry told him, holding his head down in shame. "It actually considered Slytherin first."

Milo waited for Harry to continue on but that seemed to be the big confession, leaving Milo to laugh a little bit.  "That's it?" Milo chuckled. "Oh Harry, that's not a big deal at all. The Sorting Hat is known to hold a debate between houses. You know, my mum was a hat stall. It couldn't choose between Ravenclaw and Hufflepuff. And the Hat did the same for me."

"It wanted you to go to Slytherin too?"

"Well, no," Milo shook his head but before he could continue on, Harry frowned with a worried look. "Look, Harry, it's not actually uncommon for the Hat to debate between Slytherin and Gryffindor, whether the members of the houses like to admit or not, they're very similar in a lot of ways. And being sorted into Slytherin wouldn't have been a bad thing for you at all. There are amazing people in that house that I've known over the years. Not everyone is Draco. All this Slytherin Heir stuff is getting you half-crazed."

"I think it's more than half at this point," Harry muttered.

"Harry, we come from a long line of Gryffindors if it makes you feel any better," Milo said.

"How come you weren't sorted into Gryffindor then?" Harry questioned him.

"Because badgers have a lot more fun, sorry," Milo patted him on the shoulder. "Now stop worrying about this. Once Mrs Norris is back to normal all of this will die down."

He went to tell Harry that he had to head to quidditch practice but his little brother decided to blurt out one more thing to keep Milo next to him.

"What if Draco is the heir of Slytherin?"

Milo stopped in his tracks and turned to face him with a bewildered look. "Pardon?"

"Draco, he comes from a long line of Slytherins and maybe it's possible that he could-"

"Harry," Milo stopped his brother from going any further. "You didn't want people accusing you of doing such a thing, don't go pointing fingers unless you have evidence. That's all I'm going to say on the matter, Hary. Now I have to go to quidditch practice, I'll see you later."

Of course, Harry wouldn't take his brother's warning as later on that day, Harry and his friends manipulated Lockhart to give them a permission slip to check out a book in the Restricted Section of the library.