Chapter 5

A few months have passed, and I finally worked myself up to spend more time with Harry and Uma. I've continued to get letters from Carlos, who has been asking why I wasn't responding every letter, and, despite reading all of them, I never responded. I felt a bit bad for not responding, but, after watching the old television every day, I couldn't. Mal defeated our only hope about a month ago, Maleficent. It was very clear to me that they wouldn't be coming back. I'm sitting at the bar of Ursula's Fish and Chips, head resting on my folded arms. That's when I hear the familiar outraged tone of Uma, "I can't believe she's tangled up that prince! Ugh, oh this just makes me want to rip her scrawny throat out." Uma growled with frustration as she dropped a tray of food down in front of a customer, who gave her a nasty glare. I didn't lift my head up, playing as if I was asleep, only for her to slam her hands down at either side of my head from across the counter. My head lifted dreadfully as I was hit by a sudden headache. It was a throbbing pain in my temples that lasted about a minute. "You'll have your chance, Uma. We just need a little time," my voice sounds as if I'm trying to comfort a pathetic child. She slinks about on the other side, hitting the power button of the television. It's screen flared to life as the color came rushing, and the sound of people speaking could be heard. The only channel we have is that of Auradon news. I didn't pay attention until the sports headline came up. The lady spoke of Auradon's team winning another championship, broadcasting a picture of the boys. I could pick out Jay and Carlos easily, though their appearances have changed a good bit since I seen them last. Carlos's hair was longer, and he doesn't seem to have that same mischievous look in his face he had the last time he was here. Neither did Jay. They looked happy? Not that I would know what true happiness was, or anyone else left here on the Isle. I need to stop thinking about them. But, we had such a special relationship. It's hard to forget all the time I've spent with them. Especially me, Jay, and Carlos. I remember the times Carlos would poke fun at me and Jay. Saying one day we'd end up together and things like that. I also remember seeing a bit of jealousy in his eyes when I'd acknowledge Jay before anyone else. Pulling myself away from my thoughts of the past, I realize that Uma had been talking. At least she wasn't directly talking to me, or asking my opinion on anything. I hear the saloon-styled swing-doors clatter as Harry entered with heavy steps. The way his boots sounded against the wood floor was very distinct to me now. Especially since I've been here with them a while. "Ah, such a wonderful day for picking up loot," he dropped a few items on the table as I blinked my blurry eyes a few times. I felt something warm and metal around my neck, but it wasn't Harry's hook this time. It was a necklace. "I also picked this up for you. Figured you'd like it," his words came out like silk as he hooked the chain and let it drop around my neck. I reached my hand for the charm hanging on the chain. It was a white sharks tooth with black along the top where it was connected to the gum. This was the only thing that screamed– more like whispered– pirate on my outfit. Yeah, I was a part of the crew, but I didn't dress the part. My attire consists of skinny, black, ripped jeans; a tight black tank-top; a studded, black, leather jacket, and a pair of combat boots. My hair was either down, or pulled into a messy bun. I also wear chains that hang from my belt loops, and I also wear an ankle bracelet that Carlos gave me a couple weeks before he left. Glancing up, I realized that Harry was leaning against the bar at my side, looking for some sort of approval. With a slight nod of my head, he looked down and smiled to himself before looking up again with a straight face. His eyes were on the fuzzy television now, and so were mine.