Birth of Schism

Craeus returned to the world suddenly, and the people of the village were excited to see the soft, blue light over the oasis water. He returned to his physical form, and before he could move forward, someone ran to embrace him. He looked down to see a young woman, and was confused.

"Craeus, you've returned."

"I have mortal. Where is Derva?"

"You don't recognize me?" she asked with a small smile.

"D-Derva, you're no longer a little mortal..."

"We grow up, Craeus."

"Clearly," he said, his smile growing.

"You had left for several years, but you're here now. We should throw another feast!"

A feast was done that night again, and Craeus was surprised by how much more bountiful it was. Much of the people had aged, and their clothes were more colorful. Again, he was given more gold and silver, but the designs and shapes were much more intricate. He looked up after examining the jewelry to see Derva approaching. She was dressed in a dress of many colors and was adorned by chains of gold on her head and hands. Craeus stood and approached her in awe.

"Craeus?" she asked, noticing his look. "Is something the matter?"

"You are a beautiful mortal."

"Are we not all?"

"Yes, but a very beautiful mortal, amongst them."

She made a small smile as she gently put out her hand. "I should show you around the village and tell you of all that happened, I think."

"I would enjoy that," he said, taking her small hand in his.

Craeus marveled at the bright lights that emanated from the tall sandstone and clay spires and buildings that filled the large town that their village had become. Lamps ran across all the roads.

"I was beginning to miss you, Craeus," Derva said.

"I suppose you would, for I have been gone long. The harvests must have been difficult without help."

"That is hardly a problem for us. I could care little for that. I missed you."

"Why?"

"Because I love you. I missed seeing you. I am so happy that you are here again."

"As am I." He stopped, noticing something. Derva laughed as he began to sniff at her. "You smell of fruit."

"It is perfume Craeus. It is to do just that. Do you have all this in the heavens?"

"Like towns and villages?"

"Yes, and other things."

"The heavens are like a void, or, at least our spot. Us spirits have no need for all this."

"Where is this void then?"

He pointed up at the stars. "It is above."

"You get the be amongst the stars then? That must be beautiful."

Craeus shrugged. "I hardly notice it."

"How could you?"

"After I met this village, I could care little for anything but you. I do my work in visiting other worlds and teaching them, but you are in my thoughts most."

"That is...good to know," Derva replied, looking away. "Um, tell me, Craeus, do you love me?"

"I do."