The Divine Chaos

"Hold the lines!" Mallion cried, now an adult. Standing behind him were dozens of other Divines, all holding weapons of obsidian. One of them was incinerated as a streak of lightning tore past them.

Thousands of Divines were in the field, now split into massive warring factions upon the fields of Edafos. This world once given to them by the One had become the battlefield of the War between the Divines, years after the battle between the original spirits.

Paragon sat atop a stony throne, watching from a high pint on the hill. Several Divines stood guard with him, but at his right hand was Eris.

"Teacher, the battle is not swaying in our favor," she said, turning to him. "I believe Mallion will need our help."

"In time," Paragon replied. "If I were to fall, you two are the only ones I trust to take up my mission. Mallion will learn."

She was about to speak, but Paragon brought her down on his lap.

"I've made many mistakes, but the greatest among them would not be those that have happened already. Death is inevitable in such a stand as ours, at least for its leader. My job is to stave off death until we can achieve victory. You and Mallion will be safe. I will protect you."

"T-Thank you, then," Eris said, lying down on him and placing her small hand in his. "At the end of the day though, we are not like you great spirits. You are wise and strong."

"Those two things will always be something anyone can gain. Nothing will stand in your path if you have faith in yourself."

Mallion leapt into the enemy lines and unleashed a burst of flame that could be seen all around. Charred, obsidian carcasses were left in his aftermath, still sparking with black lightning.

"That is what I wish to see, powerful warriors that know themselves," Paragon said happily. "Look how our enemies fall."

"We can still never be you, however," Eris replied, looking away. "But, your power can continue without us, and without you, I'd think."

"What do you mean by that, Eris?"

"I'm saying, that your child would be as great as you," she whispered. "I've pledged myself for you, in any way I can give myself."

Paragon shook his head, almost sadly. "Even if she is not here, my love and my child still exist. I will save them one day."

Eris smiled at him. "I suppose that is loyalty I can get behind."

Massive explosions shook the battlefield below, and the Divines beside Paragon gasped as they saw this. There was a crimson light in the distance, and then a beam ripped across the valley.

Mallion crawled out of a crater painfully, black blood on his head. He rolled over on his back, and suddenly an arm was wrapped around his throat. He was picked up by a young woman, much younger than him in a crimson robe with a twisted smile.

"The Usurper is here then?" she said, her grip tightening around his throat. "My toys break too quickly, and you're no different!"

"Facing Paragon will be your demise," Mallion choked out, and her grip became a vice.

"Draw him out then! Scream!" She laughed as she tightened her grip, but it suddenly loosened. She staggered backwards, her hands still on his throat.