Cardia

Some years had passed, and Euphoria sat in Efnael's room, looking at the rose gold band around her finger. Their wedding was a private affair, with only the closest of family present. Efnael suddenly appeared and kissed her on the neck. She was about to return the favor when Efna ran onto the bed in between them.

"Three of us," Efna said, holding both their hands. "Now I have a mama and a daddy."

"You do," Efnael said, kissing her on the head. He smiled at Euphoria.

"Can I get a baby brother or sister too?" Efna asked, and the two inhaled sharply.

"Maybe," Euphoria replied. "Go, off to sleep."

"Fine," she said, kissing her on the cheek before running off.

Efnael rolled over to his side of the bed, stretching, and Euphoria raised an eyebrow at him.

"Are we going to have children?" she asked.

"Can you?"

"Of course. I may be a Divine but I am still a woman."

"Are you prepared for that?" Efnael asked now.

Euphoria withdrew a bit, looking away. "M-Maybe not yet."

"I will be going on patrol again soon. We expect to see combat."

"Have the barbarians grown stronger?"

"It is as it has always been, and as such we expect combat. Tell me though, Euphoria. What of the barrier?"

"B-Barrier?"

"My patrol survived the battle that we fought because a barrier halted the barbarian assault. This must be your doing, I'd think."

"It is," she said, as if defeated. "It keeps the evils of Cardia from consuming the Empire, but it is only as strong as I am. Most of my energy is used to keep the barrier up. You all must fight so that the barrier does not take damage."

"That is a great sacrifice on our behalf," he replied, and she shook her head.

"It is just my duty now. She sighed as she rested on top of him. "I will keep you safe, and you will keep me safe."

He brought his hands around her and she soon drifted off. He smiled, seeing her like this, and drifted off himself.

The world grew brighter for Euphoria then, as she walked amongst the mortals. Each passing day, she got to see the result of all their hard work. Olanni was a beautiful place of safety, and would remain as long as she did. She marveled at how slowly the years went passed as she stayed with her family. Finally, she could see the world through mortal eyes.

Efnael, now a bit older, sat down on a chair outside his home. Euphoria was next to him. They smiled as they looked on at Efna, their little daughter, though now much taller. She nervously held her long braids as she spoke with another boy. He put his hand on her head, and seemed to hand her something. He nodded to her father across the street, and went on his way.

"What did he say?" Euphoria asked, excited.

"He'd be glad to go to the festival with me," Efna replied.

"Aren't you excited?"

"Um, a little. I'm scared, I think. Tingly, even."