▹ THREE

-

-

''HAZEL!''

The brunette paused in her tracks down the hallway after slamming her locker shut. She was aiming her way towards the cafeteria, hoping to get her hands on a cup of french fries when Veronica Lodge had called her with Kevin Keller, Elizabeth Cooper and Jughead Jones standing by her side.

She turns with wide eyes, alarmed by the sudden attention but relaxed only slightly when she had seen it was only another one of Veronica's friendly gestures. Though, the pit of fire bubbling in her stomach caused by her nerves flared, given this time, there was more than one person. It was a whole group.

She waves her over smiling brightly while walking over to her, leaving her friends standing at the corner. ''Where did you think you were going?''

''Uh,'' She blurts out, crossing her arms across her chest. ''I was gonna grab lunch.''

She snickers. ''What? No, come have lunch with my friends and I.''

She jerks her head back as the corners of her lips extend far on her cheeks. ''I don't know,-''

''I insist,'' She pleads.

Betty furrows her brows at the two conversing from further down the corridor and questions to the remainder of friends that stood with her, ''Who's she?''

''That's Hazel Michael,'' Kevin plops another one of Veronica's french fries into his mouth. ''We hanged out at the drive-in, she's pretty nice. Her brother, extremely hot.'' He turns to her, almost bewildered. ''How do you not know about her? I heard she's moved in across the street from you and Archibald?''

She shrugs her shoulders. ''I haven't been paying attention, much less even towards the neighbors.''

''Okay,'' Jughead breathes out. ''They're coming over. Can we act like we weren't just talking about her?''

Veronica has an arm linked with Hazel's and a triumphant smile conquering her features while the new girl, on the other hand, pursed her lips for the expected unbearable confinement.

''Hazel,'' Veronica drawls so cheerfully, it sounded as if it were a song. ''I want you to meet some more of my friends. This is Betty Cooper and Jughead Jones.''

She forced a small tight lip smile and mumbles, ''Hi.''

Veronica's features blanked as she scolds, ''Kevin.''

He stopped midway of eating another fry. Jughead and Betty turned to him, furrowing their brows as he bites off what was already in his mouth and placing the rest of it back in the cup.