Chapter 7

(Kataline’s Pov)

It was the night before the Volturi came. I was allowed to attend the bonfire. I had my bronze hair into a ponytail. Jacob brings wood over and drops it on the ground. Benjamin and I looked at each other. We lit our fingertips on fire then throw it on the wood to start a fire. 

“That’s what I’m talking about. A little pre-battle bonfire. Telling war stories” 

Us three look around. Everyone is standing around. 

I finished, “Or just standing there like frickin’ statues” 

Jacob nodded in agreement. Garrett joins us by the bonfire. 

“Name any American battle, I was there” 

I thought for a second before answering, “Little Bighorn” 

“I came this close to biting Cuter. But the Indians got him first” 

Kate joins us next. I smiled. 

“Try Oleg’s assault on Constantinople. He didn’t win that on on his own” 

The Irish Coven joined us next. 

“If you’re talking about battles, you’re talking the Eleven years war. No one does rebellion like the Irish” 

“You lost the Eleven Years’ War” said Jacob. 

“Aye. But it was one hell of a rebellion” 

Jacob had to agree. I smiled. 

~

It was the next morning. I was walking with mom, dad, and Renesmee. She was holding my hand. We were both wearing a locket necklace. We were in a large snow covered field. Garrett told Kate, “If we live through this, I’ll follow you anywhere, woman” 

“Now you tell me” 

I smiled slightly. 

“The redcoats are coming! The redcoats are coming!” 

We see them emerge from the trees. I hid behind mom some more. Renesmee clung to me. 

“Aro’s looking for Alice” 

As they got closer, the wolf packs came out and joined us. Jacob came and stood by us. 

Grandpa stepped up. 

“Aro, let us discuss this as we used to. In a civilized manner” 

“Fair words, Carlisle, but a little out of place, given the battalion you’ve assembled against us” 

“I can promise you, that was never my intent. No laws have been broken” 

“We see the children. Do not treat us as fools” said Caius. 

“They are not immortal! There witnesses can attest to that. Or you can look. See the flush of human blood in their cheeks.” 

“Artifice!” 

“I will collect every facet of the truth. But from someone more central to the story. Edward, as the children cling to your newborn mate, I assume you are involved” 

Daddy looks at mama. I got his hand. He looked at me before rubbing my hair. He went towards them. I saw mama try and use her gift but no luck. I breathed in and a sweet smell came to me. It was addictive. I looked for who the smell belonged to. I saw a girl with blonde hair. My eyes widened some. She looked over and her eyes widened as well. I couldn’t look away from her. 

“I’d like to meet them” 

Daddy turns and looks at us. Mama, Renesmee, Jacob, and I start to walk forward. We stopped and looked at Uncle Emmett. He joined us. Renesmee was holding my hand tightly. We stopped by daddy.