Chapter 6

Riley took her first shot in miniature golf and it didn't go in right away. Which was okay, because nobody usually gets a hole in one, unless you're Tiger Woods, or just lucky. Instead, she got it in on the second shot, which was good. So did Dean.

"You're pretty good at this you know," Dean said, hitting the ball into the second hole on his third try.  "You play before?"

"Yeah, I go once or twice a year with my dad," Riley says as they make their way to the third hole.  "How about you?"

"I actually don't really go as often as I'd like, that's why I wanted to go tonight," Dean said. It wasn't particularly crowded since it was a Tuesday night in the middle of January. 

"That's cool. So, tell me more about yourself," Riley said, deciding it would be best to get to know him better.

"That's pretty broad, but I'll start with the basics. I live in Queens with my mom, dad, and younger sister. I play football, baseball, and a bit of ice hockey," Dean said. Riley was impressed that he did so many sports. Well, they call them jocks for a reason. "How about yourself?"

"Well, I live in Long Island with my father, who you already know. I like learning and when I'm older, I want to be a surgeon," Riley said. In another life, she could've been a surgeon. In a normal life, her life would be different. No superhero business. But, that was okay with her. She still had a year to decide what she wanted.

Dean nodded, hitting his ball into the fourth hole. He was a senior, which made Riley feel somewhat special. So, he probably knew what he was going to do already. "That sounds fun. I've always wondered what his life is like. Being a superhero and everything. It seems really fun." 

"Yeah, sometimes it is. But, sometimes you don't know whether or not you're going to lose them," Riley says, remembering all the times he went on missions and her thinking he might not come back.

Dean bit his lip. "That must be rough."

"Thanks for understanding," Riley says, giving him a smile before hitting her ball into the fifth hole.

"So, if you don't mind me asking, what happened to your mom? You didn't mention her," Dean asked, not knowing if it was okay to ask or not.

"She died when I was younger but I don't really like to talk about it because it makes me pretty sad, so can we focus on the good things in life, like me winning this game?" Riley says, changing the topic and laughing slightly.

Dean looks sad for a moment then lets out a laugh and says, "I actually think we are pretty close."

"I doubt it," Riley says, laughing, before getting a hole in one in the ninth hole. "Oh my gosh! Did you see that?"

"Yes, I did and by the way, you look really cute when you get all excited like that," Dean said, smirking at her.

Riley blushed lightly. "Thanks." Was the senior boy actually flirting with her?

They finished the game and Riley actually ended up winning by one. "I told you I'd win." 

"Yeah, yeah," Dean said laughing. They were done at around 9:30 which was the perfect amount of time for Dean to get her home. 

They hopped in his car and he drove her home. "Tonight was super fun, we should definitely do it sometime soon," Riley said when they arrived at her house.

"Yeah, anytime. Just call me," Dean said, smiling at her. "Also, are you coming to the party this Friday?"

"I honestly don't know, I'll have to talk to my dad about it again when I get in, but I will let you know by tomorrow," Riley said. She looked at the time 9:58, she should go. "I should go, thank you again."