Chapter 22

The rest of the day was uneventful, except for the fact that Anastasia told Riley to go to Peter's house at 8 pm, not telling her the reason why. She was just happy that she would get the chance to explain herself to him. There were so many things she wanted to say to him that night, but she didn't get the chance to. Damn you, Pepper.

Getting home from school, Tony asked her, "So, how was your first day back?"

"Terrible," Riley said, being honest. She slumped onto the couch and groaned.

"What's up?"

"Some kids at school are catching on to the coverup story and probably aren't going to let it go."

"Do I need to go talk some sense into them?" Tony said, sitting up.

"You can't just go beating up teenagers, Dad."

"But, I'm Tony Stark."

"You know, one day, that excuse won't work for everything."

"But, I'm Tony Stark."

Riley laughed and shook her head. "Oh, by the way, is it okay if I drop by Peter's tonight at 8?"

"Why so late?" Tony asked her suspiciously.

"Well, he missed school today and I had some stuff to give him so...is 8 o'clock fine?"

"Yeah, I guess. I'll get Pepper to take you over there. I'm working on something with Bruce later. He'll probably be here when you get back, so you'll have a chance to see him."

"Cool," Riley said. "I haven't seen him in a while."

"Yeah, he'd be happy to see how you are doing. And you guys can do some Buddha stuff," Tony said, which made Riley laugh. Riley went up to go do her homework, not really getting much done for two reasons. The first one being that fact that her head started to hurt and the second being her head is filled with thoughts about what was going to happen tonight.

On the way to Peter's, Pepper asked, "So, how come you guys are hanging out so late?"

"Well, actually I just had to drop some stuff off for school."

"How come you didn't just go right after school?"

"Well, it didn't really cross my mind until I got home."

"Good effort at an excuse, but I know exactly what you guys are doing," Pepper said, smiling and laughing.

"Y-you do?"

"Don't worry, I won't tell your dad. I'll pick you up at 10," Pepper said. "I'm coming up if you don't answer by 10:05. And believe me when I say this, coming up there is the last thing I want to do."

"Okay," Riley said opening the door. "Thank you." The walk to Peter's door felt agonizingly long for Riley. Knocking at his door, she stood nervously, not knowing what to expect for the night. She shouldn't be nervous, but for some reason she was.

"Hey," Riley said, smiling at him. There was a pit in her stomach and it was making her want to throw up.

"Hi," Peter said, "come in." Riley walked in and Peter took her jacket, which was wet from the rain.

"How was your day?" Riley asked, kind of awkwardly.

"It was pretty boring," Peter said. "None of my friends were around so I couldn't really talk to anyone."

"I have the school stuff that you missed," Riley said, reaching in her bag and pulling out a few papers. "We have the Chapter 30 outline due for Bio in a week, we have to do three data sheets for computer science, do a page of Chem, and 50 problems for math due by Friday."