Chapter 4

Garnet's POV...

"I'm moving away, Pearl." The girl, who's face was only inches away from my own, looked at me with shock. Her bright, blue eyes widen and she barely mustered, "M..moving?" I couldn't bare to look at those sad-filled eyes, "Yes..." 

It was only silent for a brief moment before she asked, "But...aren't you almost eighteen?"

"Yes," I replied, my voice slowly getting softer, "...but the state says I'm not mentally stable enough to be on my own just yet. An...and...if I don't go with them I'll be put in a psych ward, and I'm not sure that'll help the situation, ya'know?"

She only nodded, I could tell that she was holding back tears, and at that moment I could feel my heart starting to tear again. I pulled her against me again, "On the bright side, maybe you can stay the night before we leave."

She looked at me, tears on the brim of leaking, and said, her voice cracking, "O...k-kay..." She buried her face into my breast, squeezing my sides.

I sighed, "And we won't be in this stinky hospital." She gripped my side, as if asking for an explanation, I grinned, "I'm being discharged today, but my aunt's have a hotel room paid for the next few days so we'll being staying there." I felt Pearl's small body relax a little, and a quiet, happy hum came from her. 

My aunt Sapphire came in, "Garnet, honey, would you like to go out to eat tonight?" My stomach growled, I hadn't eaten much due to stress, I nodded eagerly. My bright blond aunt smiled, "Pearl, dear, would like to come with?" 

She cleared her throat, "I would love to, ma'am, but I better check with my mother." 

I didn't notice until she lifted her head that she had been crying, before I could, Sapphire questioned, "Why are you crying, hun?" 

Pearl sniffled, "I...I j..just have...have a lot on...my-my mind...that's all." My stomach turned, she wants to say more, but she won't. I bit my lip and thought, 'Please...please dammit, don't let this end badly.'

Pearl's POV...

'I just got her back and I have to lose her again! Fuck, this isn't fair dammit!' I was so angry, and all I could do was cry. No matter what I say, I can't make it where I have Garnet to myself. I took a deep breath and exited the room. I calmed myself and prayed my voice wouldn't give while I was talking to my mother.

I dialed and three rings went when she answered, "Yes, Pearl." It was more of an irritated statement than a question, I prayed, once again, that my voice wouldn't fail me, and began, "Oh, well, mother, I was just-" She cut me off, "Pearl, you're rambling, get to the damn point I'm busy."

I gulped, "Ma..may I got to dinner with my friend?" I didn't specify "friend", hoping that, that would increase my chance of going. She sighed, "Pearl, I'm going to be brutally honest. I don't give a fuck. In all fucking honesty! I want you gone!" She laughed, nervous at first, but it mixed with anger. I teared up, I knew she was drunk and she'd forget this conversation, but...was this her true feelings coming out? "Okay..." Was all that came out of my mouth, and the phone hung up. 

I didn't want to go back to Garnet crying, she's had it rough enough but I couldn't go home. I can't even begin to prepare myself for what my mother could say. I walked to the bathroom, breathing heavily, on the verge of a panic attack. I sat there on the floor, trying to calm myself, and reminding myself everything's okay. It'll pass, it always does, well...until she goes off again. But, that doesn't matter, I do what I must to survive with my mother.

I had no clue how much had passed until I manage to get myself off the, as if fate was against me, my phone rang. I jumped, afraid it was mom again, I quickly took it out of my pocket and saw it was Garnet.

"Hello..?" I was confused, 'Why is she calling?' A sigh of relief came from the other end, and she replied, "I was getting worried, my love, you've been gone for almost twenty minutes." 

"Oh."

Silence grew between us, I shook my head, getting out of the daze-like state I was in for a moment. I opened the door, and said in a hushed voice, "I'm on way back, please don't worry." It was like I couldn't control myself, I hung up without explanation, or even a "goodbye". 

My heart thudded against my chest, and it was stopping. It was as though my body was rejecting the idea of going back to Garnet. I swallowed the growing anxiety in my chest, and forced my legs to walk down the hall. They shook with every step, this awful gut, wrenching feelings is new for me. I've never felt this when going to Garnet.

This was going to a long evening. With every step my stomach turned, knots formed, and I began to sweat. 'Gosh, why on Earth do I feel this way!?' I tried talking myself down, but the closer I got to her room, the worse it grew.

I held my breath and opened the door, "Ow." I jumped back, and realized I hit Garnet, "Oh goodness, oh gosh, I'm-I'm so...sorry, gosh I'm such a klutz." Garnet giggled, "Pearl, love, it's alright." 

I blushed a deep red, my ears and cheeks burning hot, her smile was so pretty and her voice is like angels singing. 'Oh, and her laugh, so elegant and soft.' 

Garnet's POV...

'Heh, she's so cute when she's pink like that.' I took her hand, bringing her out of her daze, and asked, "So, my Pearl, what did your mother say?" The look in her eyes, was...strange, but she replied, "Oh, um, she said I'm good to go." She gave me a weird, awkward smile and hugged me. This felt different, it was as though she was only hugging me to hide her face.

There was something wrong and I needed to know why.