III.

I wake up to my alarm clock. My arm flails around until I grab my phone. The light is blinding and I somehow manage to turn off my alarm. I pull myself out of bed and start getting ready for the day.

An hour later I head downstairs to eat breakfast. Popping some waffles into the toaster, I call out to my mom. My mom leaves at different times each morning, so sometimes I'm alone, and sometimes she eats with me. Not getting a response I turn to the fridge.

While pouring myself a glass of orange juice, the toaster pops and I jump. "Damn it." I grab a paper towel and clean it up. Someone knocks on the door and I head to the door. "Yeah?" Seeing my best friend Amanda on the other side, I can't help but say, "You know, if you are going to kidnap someone, you don't knock. Or kidnap me. I could take you." I crouch and put my arms up like a ninja.

She laughs. "Its a good distraction though. Someone could sneak up behind you and you would have no idea because you are too focused on me." I stab her in the stomach with my ninja speed and she covers her stomach with her arms.

"You aren't that smart. Come on. I have to eat my waffles, and clean up my orange juice." We walk into the kitchen and I grab Amanda a bowl and the box of Cocoa Puffs while she cleans up my orange juice. This is typically how our mornings go. Sometimes my mom is here too, but she just sits there reading the news on her phone.

I spin around Amanda and jab her in the stomach again. "Aahh. Eliza. Can you restrain yourself for once? We aren't even to school yet and you have hit me twice." I laugh. I grab my waffles and sit down to eat. After we are done I put out dishes in the sink and we head out to Amanda's car. "You are driving tomorrow." Is the only comment made the entire way to school.

***

"What are we doing today?" Amanda asks. We walk into science and wrinkle my nose in disgust. One of the other science classes are dissecting, and it always stinks in here.

"Who knows. Its science, so it is going to be something really dumb." I look around. "Hey, who is that?" A tall, slender boy walks into the room and sits down at the lab desk next to us.

She looks past me and smiles. "I'm not sure." The bell rings and the teacher says the words I dread.

"We have a new seating arrangement. Everyone come stand at the front of the class and after I tell you where you sit you can move there. Keep quiet so you can hear where you sit." We all get up and move.

"Joyous day that is my life. With my luck we will be as far away from each other as possible and you will get to sit next to the new kid. Then you will fall in love and I will be alone forever." I say. Mr. Felton walks around, starting in the front.

"Amanda, Jacob..." I watch Amanda walk to her new seat and look around. "Eliza, Haden,"

I go sit in my spot. I see the new kid, Haden, sit next to me and bite the inside of my cheek. "Psst. Eliza." I glance at Haden before turning around. Amanda looks from Haden to me then winks. I shake my head.

"Alright. Today we are going to start your final project." He walks around and starts handing out a worksheet. "You will be doing it with a partner. But, I will be picking your partners." Everyone groans. "Your partner is going to be the person sitting next to you." A few people groan again. "On the paper I just handed out to you are the guidelines, and at the top what you will do your experiment on."

I write my name at the top then look at what my topic is. Find and collect as many mold samples from the area as possible. "On the back are some ideas for what you can do. Everyone has something different, in all the classes. You will have all quarter to work on this, but certain parts will be due through out the quarter. This," He starts passing out another piece of paper. "Will tell you what is due and when. You have the rest of the hour to work."