XI.

I look over at Amanda, and see her straddling the passed out girl. She just stares. I crawl over to her and put my hand on her shoulder. “Thank you.”

She crumbles against the wall and just sits there, legs and arms covering her face. “Take as long as you need,” I say. I walk back into the kitchen and look downstairs. “Whenever you are ready.” He looks up at me and nods approvingly. “Amanda is here too. She is,” I pause. “Guarding the bodies.” I smile. He frowns.

“Let us move them now.” I turn and head back into the hallway, floorboards creaking underneath my feet. Amanda is unmoving.

He comes in and we both grab one of Haden’s arms. We have only moved him a foot or so when Amanda gets up and runs outside. I watch her go. “She will be fine,” I say to the look Nevik is giving me.

We continue to pull Haden into the kitchen and somehow manage the stairs. Nevik props him in the corner of the room and we head back for the other girl.

After we have them both in the basement, Amanda comes back. We sit at the kitchen table in silence, except for the occasional grunt from Nevik fixing the door.

After a while Nevik comes upstairs and shoves a chair under the door handle before joining us. I look from Amanda to Nevik, trying to judge their reactions. Amanda just stares at the table with a far away look in her eye. Nevik looks rather bored. I look at the chair blocking the door and start thinking.

“What are we going to do?” I jump. Amanda is looking from Nevik to me and back again. He just shrugs.

“This is my fault, I will think of something. If you want you can leave; I don’t want to drag you into this.” I search Amanda’s face for a sign of...what? Anger? Sadness? Joy?

She sighs. “I became a part of this when Henry and Stephanie happened. Might as well just finish it.”

I look to Nevik. He usually has the answer to this kind of stuff. “What?” He asks, his voice gruff. He knows what I want. “Let me think about it. You two go home or wherever and come back in the morning. We can talk about it then.”

I nod and Amanda get up and beelines for the door. I start to follow her but pause in the doorway. I look at him and am about to say thank you but the look he is giving me stops me. I give a small wave and follow Amanda.

“What is your plan?” I ask Amanda. She pauses on the porch.

“I think I need to go home. If you need me, message me. I don’t know if I will be able to make it tomorrow, I start work at nine.” I look at her and nod. Her not wanting to be here is written all over her face.

 “Alright. I guess I will see you...” I look around at the trees. “Tomorrow or Sunday for sure. Are you up for going to see the Lego Movie with me?” She laughs and nods. I follow her for a short way before splitting off to head to the camp.