I Owe You

Bucky and T'Challa were resting in their hotel room, having arrived a bit early.

"Don't you think Steve and Natasha are a little late? Should we call them? They should be back by now," T'Challa said to the Winter Soldier with a frown on his face.

"Don't worry. They're probably just making out or something. Besides, they have to stop by at Natasha's hotel to get her stuff," Bucky reassured him. However the king of Wakanda still thought something was wrong.

Meanwhile, Steve was glaring at Ross's men, still holding Natasha protectively in his arms.

"Please, if you come with us to General Ross, no harm will come to you," the man in front of Natasha's door said.

"And what if we don't?" Natasha spat. But before the agent working under Ross could say anything, the spy kicked him in the chest, and freed herself from Steve's arms. Steve, understanding what his friend wanted him to do, tripped the man to his left then punched him in the face. The two fugitives fought their way into Natasha's room, despite having no weapons. Steve covered for Natasha as she grabbed a few essentials, and they both dashed out. Back in the car, the two panted heavily, this time with Steve at the driving wheel.

"They are - (gasp) - very - (gasp) - good at finding me," Natasha said between breaths. Steve nodded, and tried to drive as fast as he could without breaking the speed limit.

"Is your jaw okay?" He asked with concern. Natasha just nodded. There was a long pause before she spoke again.

"I owe you," Natasha said, "And that's not the first time I said that to you." There was a tone of seriousness to her voice that made Steve look at her. For the second time today, he was trapped by the gaze of her beautiful green eyes.

"Stop saying that," Steve said, once he broke out of the trance-like state he was in. "Stop saying you owe me. You would've done perfectly well on your own, and you know that." His friend simply shook her head and smiled to herself. A few minutes later they pulled up in front of the hotel were Steve and the others were staying.

"Come on, let's get you a room," Steve said. Only when they entered the glass doors of the hotel did the soldier realize that he didn't have any money on him.

"Shoot," he said, patting his pockets to look for loose change.

"It's fine, I'll pay. I brought my wallet with me and besides, I'm going to be staying in that room," Natasha reassured him.

An hour later they were all seated in the room that Steve and Bucky and T'Challa shared, eating takeout and discussing where to go from here.

"I say we should go as soon as we can to the underwater prison," Bucky announced, while munching on his food.

"No. We should rest. Besides, Natasha and I had a long day," Steve said, looking pointedly at the Winter Soldier.

"Says the guy who was so excited to search for Natasha," Bucky retorted back. Hearing this, a hint of a blush could be seen on Natasha's face. Steve suppressed a smile when he saw this.

"Never mind about that. How about we contact S.H.I.E.L.D. first, and then go to the underwater prison. We need all the help we can get, and I'm in good terms with S.H.I.E.L.D." Natasha said. She had a thoughtful look on her face now. Before Steve could say that it would be too risky, T'Challa approved of her opinion.

"I think Miss Romanoff has a point. We have less of a chance of failing with S.H.I.E.L.D. on our side," T'Challa remarked. Steve wasn't too happy with the decision, but he mumbled, "fine." An awkward silence hung in the air until someone spoke again.

"Okay, I'm tired now," Natasha said. "I'm going to my room now. Good night boys." She gave the boys a playful wave then strutted down the hall to her room.

"So... how was your drive with your girlfriend," Bucky taunted Steve. Steve groaned, and T'Challa had an amused look on his face.

"Okay, Natalia. This is your final test. Kill the man," Ivan said from behind Natasha. Her hand trembled on the gun, but she steadied it, and then pulled the trigger. She gulped as the loud BANG of the gun rang through the room. The victim, a man with a bag on top of his head, fell to the floor with an audible thud. Ivan walked over to the dead man and yanked the bag off of him.

The deceased victim had dirty blond hair, and wonderful cerulean eyes. He was Steve.

Natasha put a hand to her mouth, then screamed loudly, not bothering to see if Ivan noticed.

With a bolt of shock, Natasha woke up. She sat, panting on the bed, sweat making her hair cling to her body. Another nightmare. She can't go a night without one of those. She calmed her racing heart, then walked over to the balcony. Maybe some fresh air will be good for her.

Suddenly, Natasha heard loud footsteps behind her and the door opened. She whirled around to see who it was. Standing in the doorway was Steve, looking worriedly at her.

"Oh my gosh, I thought you were hurt," Steve said walking over to her. Natasha wore a confused expression on her face.

"What do you mean you thought I was hurt?" She asked him, clearly baffled.

"You were screaming, really loudly," Steve answered. "I could probably hear you from the opposite end of the hallway." Natasha was puzzled again for a moment, then something dawned on her. Her nightmare. The screams ringing in the room were she had shot Steve.

"I had a nightmare. It's nothing you should be worried about," she said, looking down. By then, there were seated in the chairs out in the balcony, the cool wind of the night air ruffling their hair and the countless stars shining down on them. Steve grabbed her wrist.

"What was it about? Tell me," Steve demanded, his grip on her wrist tightening every second. Natasha broke away from his taut grip, then forced a smile.

"It's nothing really. I have those nightmares every night," she responded, and looked away, not wanting to be trapped in those beautiful blue eyes of his.

Changing the subject, she asked him, "How's it going with Sharon? Bucky told me the two of you kissed." She smirked, although there was a burning feeling of disappointment and anger way deep down in her body. Am I jealous? She asked herself. No I can't be. Ignoring her feelings, she looked back up at Steve, who was running his fingers through his blond hair.

"Yeah, we did, but now that I think about it, it didn't really feel right. Besides, I love someone else," he said. Steve blushed, making Natasha smile. He was always so cute when he did that.

"Tell me about her. I'll hook you up with this person," she said eagerly.

"I don't think it's possible to hook me up with this person but I'll tell you about her," Steve said. "Well... she's very beautiful for one thing. She's smart, talented, and one of the bravest people I know. She doesn't get very close to people, but when she does, she protects them like she's their lifeline." Little did Natasha know, that he was talking about her.