Sorry and Thank You

Natasha sat quietly, her hands on her lap, next to Steve. They were riding in a helicopter to the Stark Tower. The rest of the crew - Clint, Wanda, Sam, and Bucky and T'Challa and Scott - were in different helicopters. She turned to stare at Steve, hoping the staring was discreet. Natasha was curious as to what he was thinking. Was he sorry? Was he still mad at Tony? Was he happy to become an avenger again. She didn't know the full story, the full ending to the Civil War. Sometimes she wondered if it even ended.

"You okay?" She asked, a hint of concern in her husky voice. Steve glanced quickly at her and nodded.

"Yeah... I just, don't know what to make of this," he replied. "I was already sorry, and now he's willing to bring me back in - Stark is a better man than I thought. I owe him a lot." Natasha let this settle in. So Steve was sorry. I know how you feel, Steve. I know how it feels to be filled with so much debt.

Natasha nodded and rubbed the small of his back, hoping it would provide some consolation. Steve looked up from next to Natasha.

"We're here," he said, and Natasha glanced up as well. The familiar lit up Stark sign came into view. At the landing base, you could just see Tony Stark jumping up and waving his arms. Despite her recent falling out with him, he didn't fail to make her smirk.

"Mr. Stark," Nick Fury addressed Tony, as Steve and Natasha climbed out of the helicopter. The others were just beginning to land.

"Nick Fury," Tony said, mimicking Fury's official tone. Even though there was still a light in his eyes, Natasha could tell that a bit of that light faded. Dark rims outlined the bottom of Tony's eyes, and his shoulders were more sagged down more than usual. Next to her, Steve opened his mouth to say something, but Tony intervened.

"Let's go inside and talk," he said, with a nod to Steve as if he just noticed him. Tony caught Natasha's eye and gave her a nod as well.

"Everyone come in!" Tony yelled out to the others, cupping his hands around his mouth.

The Avengers were led into what looked like a conference room. As Natasha's eyes adjusted, she realized that it was the room that they were in when they were discussing the Accords. Pretty ironic. They were reuniting in the exact room where they split.

There was a very awkward silence when everyone was seated. All the Avengers and others like Bucky, T'Challa, and Scott Lang were glancing at each other then down back at the ground. Tony cleared his throat.

"Well, here we are once again. One big happy family at one big happy reunion," he looked at each and ever person in the room, as if he was daring them to intercept. When Natasha met his eyes, she instantly knew that Tony did actually want the Avengers to get back together, that he did actually miss them. One can tell a lot from looking in someone's eyes. The eyes are the most emotionally vulnerable part of the body. When someone is lying, you can tell because they'll be averting their eyes. When someone really loves you, you can tell because they'll be looking at you, and no one else in the room. From Tony's eyes, Natasha gathered the truth, although she suspected that Tony would be too stubborn to admit that he missed his teammates a lot.

Natasha's train of thought was broken as she heard Steve's familiar voice.

"Look, Tony, I'm really sorry. I... it was my fault. I should've signed the Accords, and Bucky was sort of responsible for your parents death. I'm sorry that I fought against you Tony. I apologize for everything," he said. Natasha saw in his cobalt eyes the guilt and the sadness. She pursed her lips, waiting for Tony's response. To her surprise, he clapped Steve on the back.

"It's okay, Capsicle. I got your letter, and I'm sorry too. But let's make sure nothing like this happens again," he replied, smiling faintly. Steve nodded curtly in response.