A Party

"So... you and Nat, huh?" Sam said, a smirk on his face. Steve flushed a light pink. The two were at a party dedicated to Steve and Natasha, since they saved Team Cap from the underwater prison. Steve was sitting with Sam, an untouched beverage in front of him.

"Well, we're not really dating yet..." Steve's voice became smaller at each word. Sam raised his left eyebrow and looked pointedly at Steve.

"You confessed your unconditional love to each other and then had a make out session, and you don't call that a relationship?" Sam looked at him with a disbelieving expression. It was so strong of an expression that Steve had to look away, only to be taken aback by the sight of Natasha Romanoff. So she did decide to come.

She was donned in a long dress the color of the night sky, her green eyes radiating amusement. Her red curls, as always, fell perfectly down her shoulders. He really badly wanted to run his fingers though those curls and...

"You know, if you want to talk to her, you can just go and do so," Sam said, interrupting his thoughts. "She won't bite. At least, I don't think she will." Steve blushed again. Sam was right. There was no reason Steve shouldn't go over to Natasha. Besides, she's been avoiding him since That Day (as Bucky liked to call it), and he wanted to find out why.

"Sorry, I'll have to leave you here now," Steve murmured, standing up. He made his way toward Natasha. To his disappointment, Clint had gotten there first, and was conversing with her.

Steve cleared his throat.

"Umm, may I have a moment - alone - with Natasha?" He said, nervously scratching the back of his neck. Clint smirked.

"Of course. I'll leave you with your girlfriend," he replied, stressing out the word, girlfriend. Natasha rolled her eyes as Clint walked away.

"He's such a baby," she said, looking in his direction and shaking her head. Seconds later, she turned her eyes back to Steve, green on blue.

"I'm surprised you came," she said in a softer tone. "I didn't see you as the partying type of guy." Steve stepped closer to Natasha, mesmerized by her gaze.

"I guess I came because I was hoping you'd be here," he replied. The two were standing very close now, and Steve looked down at Natasha's pink lips. Natasha looked away and broke the moment. It was always like this during the past few days, her always avoiding Steve.

"So what was it that you wanted to talk about? I'm sure you didn't come here to stare into the depths of my soul," she said, flashing an irresistible smile.

Steve, flustered, responded, "Well... about that... I was just wondering..." He mentally smacked himself over and over for each time he trailed off. Natasha gave him a smirk. Steve turned a cherry red, thinking he just embarrassed himself.

"Look - if you want to know why I've been avoiding you these past few days, it's because I don't think I'm ready. This is the first time I'm considering being in a serious relationship, and unlike you, I've never been in one. I'm a spy, always on the run, so I've never really known what commitment means. I know you want me, and I feel the same - you have my word. But I'm just not sure if I'm ready for a committed relationship," she said, holding pity in her eyes. Steve tried to hide his disappointment.

"Yeah, okay. I understand. And I'm sorry if I was being a little pushy or moving too fast," his voice shook slightly while saying this. To his surprise, Natasha laughed. He didn't know what was making her laugh, but he liked it nervertheless. Natasha was cute when she laughed, though he would probably be killed right then and there if he told her that.

"You shock me everyday. You think I'm mad at you? Steve, for anything, I should be the one who's sorry. I can tell that you want to be with me very much, but it's my stupid hesitance and spy instincts that are kicking in and getting in the way," she said. "I'm sorry. You have no reason to be." And once again she locked her gaze with his. The two stared at each other for quite a while. They did this often, Steve noticed.

Suddenly, Natasha reached up and gave him a kiss on the cheek. Very close to his lips.

"Well, for now, let's enjoy ourselves at the party," she said with a smile.

Thirty minutes later, Natasha found herself sitting alone, taking a sip of vodka. She looked up as she heard a loud clink of glass. It was Nick Fury, standing at the front of the bar, waiting for everyone to quiet down. He had a drink in one hand and was holding up the other.

"Ladies and gentlemen," he boomed once everyone was silent. "I know you are having fun right now, but I need to announce something. As all of you know, this party is dedicated to Steve Rogers and Natasha Romanoff for saving several people from the infamous underwater jail." There was a cheer at this. "And as you all know, they were both Avengers, along with Clint Barton, Sam Wilson, and Wanda Maximoff. I, personally, have talked to Tony Stark, and he has agreed to let you back into the Avengers." Fury was smiling, as if he wanted this to happen.

Natasha froze. Tony agreed to accept her back in? Was this really Tony Stark that he was talking about? And there was also the question of being an Avenger again. Natasha didn't know if she wanted to be involved in that business again, running around saving the world with a huge amount of pressure on her shoulders.

She also glanced at Steve. Unlike most days, his expression was unreadable. Usually it was Natasha with the poker face. She did, though, notice a slight move in his jaw.

"But of course, you don't have to go back to being an Avenger if you don't want to," Fury said a look of challenge in his dark eyes. "So here's the real question - are you ready to become Avengers again?