Not the only surviving Vesper? (23)

*Sorry about the delay guys! I made the mistake of watching an episode of Game of Thrones and well I don't actually watch that much TV because I feel like it interferes with my own stories. I also had to get a new lap top which took some time, the screen is cracked on my old one. Those of you who have stuck with me so far! Thanks so much! I appreciate it! I'm going to try and get back into updating once a week on this. I have four other stories demanding my attention as well! If you have gotten this far but haven't read those, I would suggest giving it a shot!

How are Red and Ember doing? Thoughts?

~BrightStar

"You've never been defenseless." Her words rattled around in his head as Ember took the ship into a full dive. He finally understood why they usually piloted alone or with one really brave individual who monitored them. He hoped Dag was good, he could care less about the New Caledonians right now. In the back of his mind amusement welled up. There would be a lot of vomit to clean up if Ember kept this up.

The channel opened immediately from the other ship. Red stared at the screen even as Ember responded. They were really going to have to work on the Captain/pilot relationship they had.

She was still circling the smaller ship like a predator. Red wondered if the other pilot knew they weren't armed. Despite what Ember might claim they were still sitting ducks.

"Red. This guy claims to be from New Elysium." Her voice surrounded him. They were going to have to work on that too.

"Glad to let me in on the conversation." He was annoyed. He wondered if Ember saw herself as in charge or the Captain. If she wanted the job, he'd let her have it. But not if she was just going to point to him as she had on New Caledonia. Something had to give.

"Sorry." Ember had the grace to sound sheepish. "I was a little worked up..."

"I got that." He shifted in the seat. "On screen." His voice took a commanding tone, which he'd done purposefully.

There was a moment of silence from Ember and Red knew he'd gotten on her nerves. Good, he thought. Maybe that would lead to a discussion...if she wanted him to act as a captain when they were in trouble, she couldn't just turn that off when she trying to get a rise out of a potential enemy. It was a team effort. At least that's what Red told himself.

Suddenly the other ship's pilot was in front of him. "Thank you." He said out loud. Wouldn't do to push her too far. The other pilot was clean cut, shaven, and fit the profile of a military guy to the point that when he spotted Red he wasn't sure how to address him. Red wondered how he looked to the guy. Besides his military augs there was the out of place mohawk, and earrings no serious officer would be caught dead in.

"I was looking for the Captain, sir."

"I am the Captain." The man looked doubtful. Red shifted in his seat. "Look you've been tailing us for a few hours now. Do you mind telling me what you're doing?"

"Assessing the threat, sir."

"And?"

"You're a non-threat. I've received orders to communicate with the captain of the ship to arrange the most expedient travel to New Elysium."

"Weren't we going there already?"

The pilot's voice betrayed his amusement. "No sir, we give coordinates and wait to see who shows up. We can't just put our location out, every Neo-Tokyan battle ship would be heading our way."

It made sense, Red was relieved. That satellite had been broadcasting back at Helion, sooner or later the coordinates would be picked up.

"Are there ships following us?"