The Unwilling Chosen One Part 42

Guards rushed in but Jack held up his hand forestalling them. "It's all right," he said pushing himself up off the floor as he wiped blood from his mouth. He turned to them. "Meet your new captain."

Both guards stopped and looked at each other, then at Red. Then as one, they saluted. 

Red froze and stared at Jack.  There was no explanation, but he immediately knew what Jack wanted. He had to admit he'd known it since looking out the window at the Aphelion floating there while they were violating whatever trust he was going to put in them.

Jack stood wiping the blood away from his mouth and rubbed his jaw, as he pushed himself up off the floor. "Isn't she beautiful?" He whispered turning to look out the windows at the Aphelion. The Ehring station was filled with glass windows on this level, it was a view Red normally would have loved. But now with some of the present company. 

Red looked over at Ember feeling slightly panicked, his nostrils flared as he closed his eyes. 

"And you brought us a Vesper ship, complete with a Vesper," Jack smiled at his sister, who was frowning as she watched Red.  

"Jack," she snapped. "Can't we settle in first before you start assigning jobs? And there's a fleet behind us, remember?"

"I know," Jack turned to her. "That's why I need you in there as soon as possible. We could hook someone else up, but we don't have an experienced Captain, someone who has done this before. And I know you'll need a co-pilot, Ember..."

"I have a co-pilot," she snapped. Red's gaze settled on her, he knew what she wanted. He wanted that too, but he realized then and there. As much as he hated to admit it, just this once, Jack might be right. If the fleet broke through, there really wasn't going to be anyone else.

He hated Jack at that moment. Jack had always had a plan. Usually, they were good, sometimes they were suicide. Jack's motto had been 'sacrifices must be made.'  He hated that phrase. 

But he was exhausted. He knew Ember had to be too, no matter what she pushed through her system while connected to the ship, she needed real rest. 

He was only half listening as Ember, Dag, and Jack began to argue. He stared up at the Aphelion again, wishing for once that he'd ditched the New Caledonians and taken off with Ember and Dag. Well, Dag would have stayed... And he still needed to get T to a proper doctor, one with the experience to augment a spine...

"Jack!" It was Leah who snapped and broke the tension. "We have two children here who need to be attended to, three adults who look like they are about to drop. We can get them rooms, let them rest and keep an eye on the situation. I am sure they will help when the time comes but they need clothes, and rest." 

Jack actually looked sheepish and Red was glad she'd taken over. He glanced back at T and Alt who waited, mute as their futures were decided. This had not better be for nothing, he decided.

"Of course," Jack muttered, glancing back out the window, impatient as ever. It hadn't mattered as much before when Red was more than willing to die, but now as he glanced over at Ember, he realized he wasn't in a hurry to leave this plane of existence. Not yet, anyway.

"If you would follow me."

Commander Larsson followed after Jack, flanking him on his right while two men followed behind her. Lars nodded at him as he passed, the straightened shoulders giving him away. Red could only manage a small nod back. Ember was at his side grabbing Alt's hand, and T had a grip on his. Behind them, Dag and Leah, glancing shyly at each other held tightly to one another with Desmond behind them, face split almost ear to ear as he grinned at both of them.