"Can you breathe Vacuum?"Part 30

Shit. So much for waiting

**************************************

"Everything ready?" 

Jack's auburn hair matched Ember's. Red was surprised he didn't see the resemblance between them before. In the memory, Red had only nodded. Revenge still tightly woven around his heart as they set out. He would get his friends out, but he'd doubted he would be joining them.

"We're ready." Dag picked up the bags, a quick glance at his wife and young son, and tossed them into the transport. Their transport was a small nondescript vehicle, old style it actually had rubber tires and connected to the ground in a day and age when most people had hover crafts of various sorts. Jack had called it untraceable and unhackable. No computer systems inside, with a combustion engine.   

"Let's go." Red hadn't looked at either of his friends. But Dag had picked up on his mood. As soon as his family had been loaded, Jack had jumped into the driver's seat, while Dag's wife packed their son and herself into the back. That's when it all went wrong.

Chaos erupted in the streets as two large scandroids came barreling down their section.  The large bots had a singular purpose and that was rounding up augs. They did nothing else, they weren't AIs. If the augments put up a fight they were to be killed. If they surrendered they were rounded up and placed in prisons away from the rest of humanity on other worlds.

They knew. 

"Shit." Red's symbiotics flared as he scanned the area, there had been two more around the corner. He tapped the side of his head. "Jack, get Dag loaded and get out of here," he shouted as he placed himself between his friends and the incoming droids. 

He sensed rather than saw Dag standing next to him. "Dag go."

"If you think I'm leaving you behind... You got another thing coming. Jack start driving."

Jack's voice called to them through their earpieces. Neither one of them responded.

"Damn it Dag, get in the car." Red turned to him but Dag wasn't looking at him, but at the scandroids moving in on them. 

He turned towards them and lifted his hand. His scanners lit up once again, throwing a blue shade in front of his vision, still, four scandroids coming in fast with two more not too far behind them. The engine fired up and the tires squealed as the car pulled away.

"You should have gone with them." Red snapped at Dag. He was more than willing to fight and die right now. But Dag wasn't having it. Once he was sure Jack was long gone he wrestled Red to the ground.

"Dag?!?" Red remembered shouting as Dag had wrapped a metal arm around him holding him still.

"You know, one or two, and I wouldn't mind joining you... But six? Six Red, there are six, live to fight another day..."

"I don't care, Dag." He struggled to get his arms out of Dag's grip, to at least put up a fight against the beings that had taken so much from him. Dag's metal arm wrapped around his torso, his regular arm wrapped around his neck, not quite cutting off his air, but making him struggle. Spots of color formed in his vision. He began to pant, spittle dripped from his face, as tears flowed, real tears of frustration as his inability to do anything, to get any kind of revenge.

"Tough shit, I do!" Dag had wrestled him to the ground as the scandroids converged on them. He'd struggled in his grip but there was no escaping the strength of Dag's arm. If Dag had been anyone else he might have used one of his other military augments to hurt him.  The scandroids had surrounded them and subdued them, Dag holding him down while he cursed and screamed at him, begging him not to struggle so he wouldn't be killed.