The Angel from Hell Part 50

Special thanks and shout out to @taivaan_sininen making a guest appearance specifically to create the space in Amy Larsson's mind. You'll find that section in between these  "######." If you have time go and check out her story "Against The Tide - A New Elysium Story" to see what Lars has been up to while Red was locked away in prison for seven years. 

New characters: "Amy Larsson" "Null" "Heisenberg" "Rutherford" "Ensign Darwin" "Dr. Cyril" and "Nova" appear first in "Against the Tide" and belong to taivaan_sininen. (I probably should have mentioned that in an earlier chapter, boy do I need to get along with my rewrite!)

"Being prepared for all circumstances is what ensures victory..."*

Red moved to the front of the group in an unspoken agreement with the rest. His augments picked out the number of people on the other side of the door and without asking the rest of them he simply opened the door ducking as he went and rolled into the room.

Lars, firmly in control ducked low and spun around as the bullets went flying overhead. We've got to get the AI out of there, he spoke inwardly to Null.

How?

Plug me back in?

What about Red? Lars checked over their shoulder as Nova and Heisenberg flanked him on either side. I think he's got it handled.

"Am I going to like what you two have got in mind?" Nova asked without looking at them. 

Lars grimaced as more men appeared in front of them. "Heisenberg, cover the rear!"

"Yes, Drill Sargent," the reaper unit responded. 

Nova snickered and Null grimaced. It wasn't the strangest title he'd used. 

They backed behind the droid following Red as he moved forward. One look behind him and Lars made a decision. Red wasn't going to need their help moving forward. What they needed most was to keep the AI out of their way. 

"Let's get into that room, with Red and then find a conduit," he pushed behind Heisenberg, grabbing Nova's arm to pull him along.

"Like it rough," Nova commented as he allowed himself to be moved. 

Somewhere inside Lars heard Null groan, but he could also sense her amusement. He was jealous of more ways than one of Nova, but he knew Null liked Nova, even as she denied it openly. 

Somewhere behind them, the shots continued to ring out. 

"He's having a blast," Nova eyed the way they'd come, watching as Heisbenberg picked off a few of the braver men. The rest had hung back. 

"Cover me," Lars commanded. "And keep an eye on Red, he's built to take down a regiment, but he's human. He won't last forever."

Nova nodded. Knowing the guy had weaknesses made him feel slightly better. That shot on board the Blackstar had unnerved him more than he was going to admit in front of everyone. What if they had others like Red, who'd remained loyal to Neo-Tokyo? 

They already knew that they'd kept a few augments around.

Lars dropped into the room, somewhere ahead of them, was Red. He'd left them behind. 

Lars pulled himself out of the forefront and reached to Null. Ready?

No. But here's go nothing.

Two wires pushed out through the skin under her wrist, she grimaced for a moment as they pushed through, her other hand sliced open the wall. Beside her Nova's eyes widened.