Part 26

Red sat in the pilot's seat for a moment before putting his forehead down on the panel. What had he just said to Ember? His face felt hot and he knew it was just as Red as his hair. I'm up for practice if you are.

He groaned. They still had some time left before they got to New Elysium if they weren't caught first. He jerked his head back up conscious that Ember of all people could look in at him at any moment. He tapped the side of his head, effectively killing any open channel she could listen in on. He could have done it with a simple thought but the movement had always helped him focus, he did it subconsciously. But it wasn't like she couldn't look in on him at any moment through the eyes of their ship. Idiot.

The door opened. "Hey Red, you got a minute?" Dag poked his head in. Red eager for the any distraction jumped up.

"Yeah, what's up?"

Dag pushed his way and closed the door. He looked somber as he turned around. He rubbed the back of his head. "Do you think she waited, man?"

"Waited?" His wife, it was the only person Red could think of, he knew that Dag was nervous about the upcoming reunion. Hell, he didn't even know if she was still alive. He paused, not sure how to answer.

Dag rubbed his hands together, his silver arm standing out under his dark brown shirt. It was a sign of how nervous he was. Dag was normally the calm one, the encouraging one. Today he looked broken, lost.

Red took a deep breath. "That Satellite had both our names in the message," he said finally. It was the best answer he could give. Dag had put his family on a ship Red had secured, although Red had never met his wife Zaira, or his son, Tomen. He had been fairly certain of their escape. Dag had had the choice to go with them but he'd stayed behind and gotten caught with Red.

Dag nodded, a faint smile popping up. "You're right." He took a deep breath. "You think they will recognize me?"

"Man, I don't recognize you." Red muttered, earning a laugh.

"How long has it been?"

"At least seven years." Red stood and stretched. He needed a distraction, anything to keep thinking about his last words to Ember. He wasn't sure if it was a good sign that she was still in her room. She probably needed rest and didn't want to face anyone at that moment either. But Red needed something to do. Anything. "Why don't we wake up T and Alt?"

Dag nodded. "Yeah, they need to be up. We'll be stopping for fuel soon, Ember's burning to get as far as possible for a charge up."

"What's closest?"

"Perilion."

Red nodded. They'd need to be ready, but first they really needed a break. He looked up only to find Dag studying him with a lifted eyebrow. "What?"

"What happened?"

"Nothing."

"Nothing?" Dag crossed his arms. "You are actually brooding... Where's Ember?"

"You know she can hear us, right?"

"So?"

"So, shut up," Red crossed his arms, his glance flicking to the door way near the ceiling that Ember used to get in.

Dag's eyes widened. "What did you do when she was flying like crazy? Yell at her?"

"If that would have worked..."

"As Captain, or?" Dag didn't finish.

"I did what I had to." Red could feel his face heat up. Dag liked Ember, especially since she'd proven more than willing to sacrifice herself several times over just to get them out.