Chapter Thirteen

The jury looked at me then Danielle, and I just stood there, fingers crossed. My palms got sweaty; my heart was pounding and felt as if it was going to shoot out of my chest. The room started closing in around me. Is it getting hot in here?

This answer would change my life. If they chose her mom, I would die; my life would become worth nothing. Something inside me wanted to scream! Then after what felt like hours one man from the jury smiled. "Justin should be the father of Fleinia."

I instantly fell to my knees and tears of the most fell from my eyes, soaking my face. At what seemed just like the right moment, Fleinia jumped from Mom's lap and ran over to me. I just engulfed her in one of the biggest hugs. With her small hands, one one each cheek, she made me look at her. "Daddy! Daddy! I get to live with you! Did you hear that?" 

A giggle escaped from her lips, but then concern grew on her face. "Daddy, why are you crying? We won silly goose."  I just smiled at her as she wiped away my tears using her thumbs. "Don't worry, Kitten. They're happy tears."

My hug gotten tighter around her. I never want to let go of her. "Daddy! Too tight.You'll squeeze me to death!" Another giggle escaped her, and I just laughed while kissing her forehead. Then, I looked over Kitten's shoulder I saw Danielle walking this way. 

I wiped my eyes quickly and stood up. When she got to me she took out a tissue from her purse, wiped her eyes, then put out her hand. I shook it slowly. Her face was soaked from crying. A sadness suddenly took over my body. Danielle really did love her, but still, that doesn't mean I'm going to trust her that fast. What if she is putting up an act? 

"You really...um....are right for Fleinia. Just, please, take care of her well." She tried her best to smile. "I will. I promise." I smiled back, and right before Danielle could leave Kitten ran over to her and hugged her. Danielle stopped and looked down right at her confused. My smile grew bigger

"Wait! I need to tell you something!"

Danielle bent down and looked her in the eyes and sweetly asked what. Kitten looked over to me and motioned for me to come here. I  slowly did so and bent down by her. 

"Mamma-" Right when Kitten said that tears filled Danielle's eyes. "-I just wanted to say that I love you still and I always will, and like Mrs.Flowers taught me to do, I forgive you. Plus it says it does in the Bible to do it, too!" She hugged her hesitantly and lightly kissed her cheek. Danielle just smiled and covered her mouth as if she didn't know what to say. (I would do the same if I was her.) Kitten looked at me.

She whispered in my ear. "Daddy, ask for her number." I shook my head yes and I did so.

Now, why would she do that? Why would she want me to do that? Then it hit me! She wants to stay in contact with her.

"Hey, Danielle, can I have your number? I think Kitten wants to call you sometimes."

Danielle's eyes glowed up and she quickly grabbed a pen and notepad and scribbled some numbers down. She tore it out and put the pen and pencil back in her purse. "Here is my number. You might not want to call me Tuesday and Thursday between three-thirty-five and seven-fifty-five. I work those days." 

"No problem" 

"I'll be waiting." She kissed Kitten on the forehead and got up."I'll see you later, Fleinia. Bye, Justin." She got up and began to leave. "Wait, Danielle." Danielle stopped. "I will call you later tonight. Don't go to sleep till then."

"Okay."

She walked away and left. I saw George stumble his way into the courtroom. He had a beer bottle in his left hand. He looked at me and smirked.