Prologue

She moved her legs, feeling the softness of her bed sheets surrounding her body and quietly moaned herself awake. Sophia's eyes fluttered open to see Peter lying beside her. A smile crept along her lips, remembering the vulnerable night they'd had together. For a moment, she just lay there, admiring his facial features. How did I get so lucky?, Sophia thought to herself. 

"Soph- oh crap. Sorry!" Sophia's best friend and roomate came into the room, but quickly turned around once she'd gotten the hint and held her hand to her face, her back to them. "What the hell, Sophia?" Sophia turned in her bed and faced Jamie. 

"Jamie, what is it you want? I'm kind of busy here." Sophia said in a whisper, hoping not to wake him. Jamie didn't say anything for a minute, "Jamie!" Sophia said a little louder, getting agitated. 

"What do you want for breakfast?" Jamie let the question out in a tiny squeal, obviously feeling very awkward at the moment. Sophia sighed and told her, "Just go do something. I'm going to clean up this mess." Jamie left the room, closing the open door behind her. 

"OKAY, GET UP!" Sophia pushed Peter off the bed and he rolled down in the sheets to the floor. He ruffled his dirty blonde hair and looked up, squinting his eyes. 

"Wha-what happened last night?" he said in a dissapointed tone and Sophia didn't know why, but his tone saddened her. Apparently, he hadn't enjoyed it. 

"A little something called a one-night stand. Now, go!" Sophia picked his clothes up off the ground and threw them at him. "Get out!" she yelled at him, pointing towards the door. 

"You're that Baker girl, right? Daughter of the principal?" Peter grabbed his clothes and started changing on the floor. 

"Yes, now oh, God, change outside!" Brooke threw her head back and fell flat on her pillow, closing her eyes and squishing her lips tightly together. Peter stood up with his pants on and smiled slightly. 

"Why you live with that girl? Where's daddy?" he scoffed and looked at her curiously. "Hey, you okay? Did I tire you up or what?" he chuckled again, but stopped automatically when he realized there was no point in joking about what had happened. "Come on, what's your problem?"

"You're my problem. Please go." she pointed towards the door again after smacking a pillow on top of her head. A silence passed, and Sophia sat back up, only to see Peter sitting in her computer chair, watching her. "Why do you even care?"

"I don't know. I guess I'm just the kind of guy to stick around after sleeping with some girl who'll do anything to create her image." he shrugged and grabbed a water bottle, chugging it down in one gulp. 

"I already have an image, I'm not desperate and trust me, if anyone's the desperate one, it's you." She stood up, wrapping her bed sheets around her and opening up her closet. "Don't you have an image or a reputation to live by? You ought to." she pulled out a red sweatshirt with a bar's logo on it. 

"I'm known as the guy who couldn't handle a broken heart so went out to break other ones to feel the satisfaction that must come from it." Peter looked down and Sophia frowned, walking over to him. 

"Did you ever get satisfaction?" Sophia pulled up another chair and sat in front of him. 

"No...but I'm not going to fall in love again just to be heartbroken again. It's not worth the time." he stood up and pushed the chair in, holding the shirt above his head and putting it on. Sophia stood up and placed her hands on his shirt, flattening it out but then stopped, stepping back. 

"What the hell am I doing?" she ran her fingers through her hair and then placed them on her hips. "Peter, I'm sorry but you need to go." 

"Tell me something about yourself. I told you so it's only fair-"

"Fine!" Sophia crossed her arms. "My favorite color is Rosy Red and I like tacos, I..." Sophia looked down and lifted herself up from her heels and placed them back down. "I...want someone to love and someone to love me back for who I am and not what I'm trying to be." she shrugged. "I guess I want..." she looked up and chuckled. "Someone like you."