Chapter Four

Rowen stared at her phone; another scathing message from Daniel sent her way. She couldn't blame him; after all she had broken up with him, and admitted that she had felt something for Amara's cousin Liam.

She had hoped that being away from Liam would mean that her strange feeling towards him would disappear like a bad dream. She had every intention of making her relationship work out for the best, and at that time the best was being with Daniel.

But it didn't work out that way.

She couldn't stop thinking about Liam.

Daniel had noticed that something was off with her, and she had told him that she was missing his son, who had gone home the day after she met Liam. Daniel thought she was being sweet, and she wanted to kick herself. She used his own son as an excuse to her mood, when really she was thinking about another male the whole time.

Rowen started to hate herself. She hated that she was thinking about Liam all the time, that whenever Daniel leant in to kiss her she would imagine what the same moment would have been with Liam. It made her jump back from Daniel who would give her a questioning look. She always try and think of a reason, an excuse. She would cough, or say something completely random to make him laugh and forget what he was going to do.

And with every excuse she made for him not to touch her, the more she hated herself.

She had gotten so bad that she would distance herself from him if they were walking together, always moving away when his hands would reach for her, making it look like she was distracted with something and hadn't noticed the way his hand raised to reach for her own.

She would cry herself to sleep every night. Knowing that she couldn't let this relationship go on, but not wanting to hurt Daniel at the same time.

When she had finally gathered the courage to tell him what she was feeling he had lost it. Screaming vile names at her, that she knew were untrue but she was so angry at herself for the way she was feeling towards Liam, that she just took it and agreed with everything that he called her. He had gotten so angry at one point that she thought he was going to hit her, but he removed himself before he lost himself completely.

Rowen had followed him outside; he was yelling and cursing her out the entire way. Angry at himself for believing in her and furious with her for leading him on. She had tried to explain that she had thought that it would go away, that being with him was what she had wanted, but he wouldn't listen. And she hadn't really expected him to. She didn't think anyone would want to hear that the person they were dating had feelings for someone else.

She had collapsed on her front lawn when he had driven away. She didn't have the strength to hold herself up anymore. She had sat there for a while before some stranger came to help her up. He was dressed in a suit, which she thought was odd, but never said anything about it. He seemed like a nice person, he asked if she was okay and if she needed him to call the police. Obviously he had seen the argument.