::Chapter 12:: Pleas and Compromises

No one seemed to quite know how to respond to Charlie's request.

Robert's lips had parted, as if to say something only to think better of it and shut them again.

Violet's eyes flashed with something, though Charlie was unsure if it was astonishment or pain.

Part of Charlie was simply happy to see that she still felt something for him, instead of hatred.

King James however, seemed to have expected it in a strange way. He didn't seem remotely surprised by what was asked of him. The Monarch drew his gaze across the man who was his son, as though bored.

He contemplated for a moment, though what about was unclear.

Quiet fell across the hall for what felt like an eternity. A needle being dropped at the back of the room could have been audible to even the ears of a human. They all waited for the decision of the King. No one dared to interrupt in the meantime.

"You really think you're in a place to be making requests?" The King spoke at last, amused.

"I don't think you're in any place to say no," Charlie didn't know where the courage to speak to his father in this way came from, but he had said it before he had thought it through. He showed no sign of regret.

"Perhaps you are more naïve then you look," the King spoke calmly. "Or maybe just stupid, as you appear to have forgotten that I am your King."

Charlie kept up the pretence of bravery in spite of the fears which were bubbling in his stomach. "You haven't been my King in a long time." Almost as long as you haven't been my father. He didn't speak the last part out loud, mostly for his own sake as that was where his courage halted.

For a moment, Charlie thought that that would be the straw which broke the camel's back. As the King's eyes narrowed until they were catlike, and his fists clenched. The young wolf tensed to dodge a thrown fist which never came.

"Until the day I die, I will be the King of every subject in this Kingdom. You will do as I say and you wont have a choice in the matter."

A smile slipped onto Charlie's lips, it was small and only really noticeable to the men within a few metres from him. "Apparently not, if it was true you wouldn't need my help to win this war," he retorted.

Once upon a time, Robert would have chuckled at the sound of his younger brother sassing his father. It was a rare time when the young wolf had the guts to as much as speak up, let alone bite into his father in this way.

Now, however, he looked torn between tearing Charlie a new one to save the King face, and protecting every man and woman in the room. Achieving both wasn't possible and it frustrated him.

Whilst the King had barely changed, his sons were now chalk and cheese.

Robert settled down somewhat, though the tension running through him was still apparent. A white shimmer showed beneath his lips as he bared his all too human fangs. It was only a flicker, but Charlie didn't miss it.

Glancing back at his father, he had to force himself to not cower under the furious gaze.

"The way I see it," he spoke before the King could even open his mouth. "You can either agree to my demands, and I will fight beside you and do what I can for this war of yours." Charlie explained calmly. "Or you force me to fight, against my will. And I do what I can to make sure you lose this war."

In that moment, the King revealed something that he rarely showed. The thing that made him one of the most powerful men in the Kingdom. He usually kept it under wraps, and his ability to do so made him all the more dangerous.

His anger.

Despite him being well over the age of sixty, the man could move much faster then would be reasonably expected. Before Charlie could react with more then an astonished growl, the man was mere inches from him. Eyes alight with fire.

"You crippled my son, you are mine. You have no right to make demands."

Every part of Charlie wanted to cower away from the glare, to beg for forgiveness and apologise with everything he had. Despite the instinct, he forced himself to sit as tall as he could in spite of the pain. He let out a low growl.

"I owe you nothing, your the one who forced me to come here. Arthur's blood is on your hands."

The King's punch sent Charlie sprawling to the ground. He would have shifted had he the room to do so. Instead he was caught in the in between, bones cracking as they struggled against his will to shift.

When they found it impossible they stopped, leaving Charlie in an agonised state, half wolf half man.

"Finally the wolf reflects the man," growled the King. Leaning down and grabbing Charlie by what remained of the binds and pulling him to his face.

Charlie was limp in his father's grip, barely able to think straight except for the pain. He snarled, trying to bite his father but he couldn't reach. He could hear the bounds beginning to splinter in the back of his conscious mind.

Just a bit further, he snarled. Thrashing as hard as he could against the grip of his father.

The King dropped him, hard. Charlie landed with a heavy thud, drawing a cry of pain from the young wolf. Finally forcing the binds open and he shifted into the battered and torn wolf. He skidded to catch his footing on the marble floor.

Watching his father, it was a perfect silence in the throne room. It was as though he and King James were the only ones there. The King didn't flinch as he stared into the eyes of the wolf who could have torn him limb from limb before anyone could move to stop him.

Under the King's glare, Charlie stood as firm as he could. In spite of the fact his legs were fighting to buckle.

"Stop the killing," the honesty to Charlie's tone surprised him. "When the war is over, put an end to it and destroy me." Pain lit his voice, in that moment he was less a monster and more a desperate man looking for relief from a life of pain.

With any luck he could end pain for a lot of others as he did it.

He didn't answer for a moment, the King seemed to think for a moment, then let out a heavy sigh. "Promise me that you will keep to your word, and fight for us." He spoke firmly, the anger gone as quickly as it had appeared.

Part of him was astonished that the King had given in as quickly as he had done, Charlie paused. Trying to find any scent of a lie to the man's words, a fight considering how hard he was struggling to hold on to his sanity.

Nothing.

"I give you my word," not that it was worth much anymore.

The King only nodded, his eyes narrowing a shade as he returned his gaze to the rest of the gathered men and women. "We leave for Karvendown tomorrow, prepare yourselves and say your farewells."

Murmurs of agreement was all that met the words of the King, they were careful not to spark his anger any further. They all had a renewed fear for their King, and that was saying something. Charlie watched them leave in silence. All of them careful to keep at arms length from the angry wolf.

Charlie could guess what his father's next words would be, and moved before he could say them. He made his way to where the guards who had brought him here stood. His head low and tail almost brushing the ground as he stepped past them. Stopping before he reached the door and looked back at them.

"Take him back to his cell," the King said undeterred by Charlie's movement.

The guards nodded, Charlie didn't bother to shift as they placed cuffs around his paws and he was lead like a common dog from the throne room.

With little grace he was thrown back into his dark cell, landing on his side and not bothering to return to his paws. Choosing to use this time to try and catch up on what could prove to be much needed sleep.

For tomorrow he headed into war.