::Chapter 35:: The Task

The first impact of the ground on his paws went wrong in more ways then Charlie could count.

He had aimed for the closest thing to level ground he had been able to spot, only to find that there appeared to be what he could only call a birds nest hidden amongst the rocks which he stepped on.

Surprise had sent him skidding almost immediately, and as he lost his footing he fell a further five metres. Landing hard on his side, winding him. He struggled back to his feet, the rest of the group already beginning to make their way ahead, not looking back to make sure he'd survived the slip.

"Please try not to kill us both," Arthur grunted rearranging himself as best as he could on his brother's back. "I'd let to make it to the bottom in one piece if that's not too much to ask," in spite of his brave words. Charlie could taste his brother's terror.

Allowing his brother a quick minute to regain his balance and take back his grip. Charlie searched with narrowed eyes for the next place to find his footing, but he was quickly beginning to feel that would be impossible.

It was in that moment of hesitation, that all hell seemed to break lose.

First came a great rock, which went skidding down the mountain with such a sudden burst of speed that Charlie barely had the time to realise what was happening before it shot past his nose.

Drawing a yell of astonishment as it crashed to the ground and continued in its destructive path.

His yell fortunately meant that the others at the very least had the time to dodge out of the way of its path and it continued to tear down the side of the cliff. Coming to the bottom with a crash which was audible even to their ears.

A single look back at what remained of the palace was enough to tell Charlie that the rest of the palace wasn't going to wait long before following suit.

"Go," Arthur's yell echoed across the Cliffside, the sound was terrified as he clung on hard.

Not needing to be asked twice, Charlie lunged forward without looking where he was going.

Picking up the pace without intending to, gravity quickly took its hold and he found himself unable to stop as he began charging down the mountain. Pants quickly started coming from the young man as he struggled to keep up the pace on uneven ground.

The only thing which acted as a way for the young wolf to halt, was the occasional rock which jutted from the cliffside. He actively tried to aim for them so he could gain at least some form of control as he raced downwards.

Every time he landed pain rippled through him, and now as he tried to stop himself he slammed hard into the rocks. He was certain it wouldn't take much more for him to break a rib, or worse, Arthur.

Despite the growing agony and blood loss, he continued onwards and soon managed to catch up with the rest of the group. They managed by what Charlie could only describe as a true miracle to come to a halt on the same ledge and they exchanged a few words.

"Is it worth waiting for the rest of the palace to come down?" Asked one of them with ragged breaths, as though desperate for the opportunity to just catch his breath. As well as the fact that the danger was putting the fear of god in every one of them.

Briar was the one who answered, she seemed to be the most impacted by everything that had happened. Grazed on pretty much every inch of her body, and panting heavily as she struggled to catch her breath.

She was bleeding heavily, which panicked Charlie terribly as he knew she couldn't heal as well as the rest of them. But despite the pain and fear in her, she spoke with an incredibly calm and level tone of voice.