::Chapter 27:: Making Demands

Charlie was certain that in that moment his heart stopped dead.

Part of him knew that this should have been expected, that he knew they were coming and that was inevitable. But never in a thousand years would he have guessed it would be so soon, and in such huge numbers.

For a moment he didn't move, not knowing what to do or what to say. Everyone he knew and loved was in that castle, and they were now facing a terrible fate.

As terrifying as it was to look at, he knew that he had to do something.

But he didn't have a clue what there was to do.

So he did the first and dumbest thing that came into his head.

He stepped from the shadows and into the light, for all to see.

No one seemed to notice for a short while, it appeared that everyone had expected defence and danger to come from within the palace, and not at its walls. For this reason, Charlie stood in the sunlight alone for a few moments. Left by himself, looking like a fool.

Just as he was about to speak out, to make his presence known. A shout came from a member of the circle which was protecting the foot of the cliff. Now there wasn't a pair of eyes in a five mile radius which weren't on him.

Before he had the chance to prepare himself, the strangers were on him like hawks. They had him surrounded within minutes and Charlie had to force himself to not cower under their glaring eyes.

They're fast too. Charlie acknowledged in his head, shifting from one paw to the other, prepared to fight, regardless of what would face him.

"Hello," Charlie said as calmly as he could manage. Careful to make eye contact with every man and woman there, making a point of doing so. It was his way of trying to seem as though he was as strong as they were.

Even if he had every possible doubt that the truth was the opposite.

One spoke up from the small crowd which had now gathered around him. An amused look on his face, though there was an air of caution to everyone else. It surprised Charlie, he didn't think anything could have scared them.

"Enchanted," the sarcasm dripped from the stranger's voice like venom from the tongue of a viper. He left it at that, as though nothing further needed to be said. There was a strange calmness to his voice, and it put Charlie on edge.

As though they were two strangers making pleasantries as they waited for the bus to arrive, fully intending to never need to speak again. Not like Charlie was terrified of what would come, and his fate rested on the shoulders of this strange man.

And Charlie pretended like he wasn't currently contemplating tearing out the stranger's throat.

"Who do you think you are?" A voice broke the silence at last, this one noticeably less calm.

Shifting from uncomfortably, he tried to act cool, despite every instinct screaming at him to run.

Regarding the stranger who had spoken with a flicker of his eyes. A purposeful move, as to show disrespect to the leader of this strange group. It was one of few power plays he was currently capable of making.

"My name is Charlie Augustus," he spoke simply. Those two words told everything they needed to know.

By now, almost everyone in the kingdom was aware of the importance of that name.

Every pair of eyes narrowed at this knowledge.

No one said anything further for a moment, though Charlie noted that the head stranger now regarded him with an air of heightened caution. Charlie took this as a victory, it may be the only one he would have for a while.