::Chapter 14:: What might have Been

With his brother's words burned firmly into the back of his brain, Charlie was lead from the hospital room. He forced himself to not look back a final time, and he didn't respond to his brother's farewell.

You didn't tell him what father promised you in return for cooperation, guilt ate away at him.

He hadn't been able to bring himself to say goodbye to the man who he had crippled, especially with the knowledge that it would be their last.

"Love you, Art," he whispered under his breath as he paused for a final time by the closed door. Then he followed his brother, he didn't even have the energy to refuse or resist. Every ounce of it had been drained from him in the last few days.

If Arthur had heard him in his unconscious state, he didn't make a noise or move. Charlie watched him in silent pain. Then left the room for the last time, wincing.

Despite not knowing where he was going, Charlie followed on in silence. Every step taken as though he was certain that the next would be followed by an attack. Until he was lead out to the edge of the cliff.

The sunlight only just began to peek through the stormy clouds above head, it was a gloomy and grey day. Somewhat fitting, but it did make Charlie rather cold as he followed his brother through the great gates of the palace.

Were Charlie to guess, he would have said that there were a thousand, maybe two people surrounding the gates and along the cliff side. They all turned to look at the man in chains as Robert lead him through the castle gates and onto the path.

Cautious murmurs filled the area, as they stared at him as though they were faced with a myth.

More a monster then a myth, Charlie cowered beneath the stares.

However, when the doors reopened a few moments later Charlie was but a passing thought. Silence fell and every gaze, including his own, turned to stare at the man who exited. No one dared to speak as the doors creaked shut again.

The King walked forward, undeterred by the hundreds of eyes staring at him as he walked side by side with his guards. Charlie straightened, trying to spot Evie among their ranks but he was unable.

Please let her just be somewhere else, he begged to anyone who he thought might listen. His mind began racing with all the possibilities of where the young woman could have been. Most of which were negative and horrendous to think about.

Had his father not begun to talk, Charlie would have turned to his brother and begged for answers, but he didn't get the chance.

Armed to the bone to the point where he rattled with every movement, the King reached his dark horse and mounted with surprising ease for how much weight he wore. Charlie watched in silence.

Only once he was seated, did he look up to the rest of the army and nodded simply.

Activity returned to the area as they all hurried to get ready to go. In his distraction, Charlie didn't notice Robert moving to take the chains leading from his neck to a hand, to replace it with a long length of rope.

Looking down when he heard the clanging of metal as it fell to the ground, Charlie bit back a laugh. "Are you kidding?"

Robert only regarded Charlie with boredom as he lifted himself onto a horse. "What?" he growled, his tone all but ricocheting with annoyance.

"You have me on a leash, I'm not a dog." He replied, forcing his tone to not take on the same growl as his brother. He needed to behave himself, or at least as best as he was able to under the circumstances.