Chapter Twenty-Three

After a few days stay in the hospital, Grant and I were back on our feet. We still weren't cleared for missions or any kind of training or physical exertion, but we could walk around and we didn't have to stay in the medical rooms anymore.

"C'mon, I want to go find Coulson and Garrett," I said to Grant as we finished checking out of the 'hospital'.

"I think that's a good idea," he said, making me narrow my eyes at him. He was clearly hiding something, but I wasn't sure what.

No one had visited us while we were confined to our hospital beds, because the doctors said it might put too much stress on us to start thinking about our mission. I had been going insane lately, desperate for information. I'd managed to weasel one of the doctors into telling us how long we'd been gone, and I'd started yelling in disbelief when he'd answered with 4 months. 4 months. 4 months of our lives gone, wasted in that Siberian hellhole. With another week in the hospital, it was now early February. We had left in October.

Maybe they were right about the stress.

Either way, I was now thanking God that Grant and I were back on our feet, finally able to walk freely again.

"I bet you agree with me now, huh?" I asked Grant as we went to find Coulson and Garrett.

"On what?"

"Hating the cold and camping."

Grant gave a small laugh, which I was relieved to see. "Yeah, I could probably do without cold or camping for a while."

"Do you know where we're going?" I asked.

"Yes, we're meeting in one of the conference rooms."

"Wait what? We're having a meeting? Why?"

"You'll see."

I gaped at him. "Seriously?"

"Seriously what?"

"We just survived an icy hell together and you're keeping secrets?"

"It's more of a surprise than a secret."

I rolled my eyes and huffed, but continued to follow him down the hallways. I had to admit, I was starting to get seriously curious about what this surprise could be.

I walked into one of the many conference rooms ahead of Ward, and found Coulson, Garrett, and May waiting for me.

"Surprise!" They yelled.

"What's going on?" I asked, looking to Phil with the best puppy-dog eyes I could. He seemed most likely to break.

"After a review of the events and your actions in Siberia, it has been decided that you have proven yourself capable of being a full agent," said Phil, grinning as he held out a badge with my name on it.

"OH MY GOSH! Really? I'm a full agent now?" I asked, my face breaking into a huge smile as I looked around the room.

"Yup, it's for real," said May, coming over to stand with Phil.

"THIS IS INCREDIBLE!" I yelled, jumping up and down as I took the badge from Phil. I turned to Ward. "You can't pull rank on me any more!"

He was smiling, but it turned into a frown when I said that.

"No, no, no, that's not true, I'm still a level 2, you're only a level 1."

"Hmm... well I'm just going to have to kick ass until I pass you up then, aren't I?"

Grant looked dumbfounded at my words, which only made me feel happier. I turned around and gave Phil and May a big hug.

"Thank you guys!" I said happily.