Epilogue Chapter Two

Grant and I woke up early the next morning to get in a good workout before continuing with our day. It was Saturday, but we needed to keep in shape even though we weren't in SHIELD anymore. We lifted, ran, and sparred, then once we got home we packed for the beach.

"Got the sunscreen?" asked Grant.

"Yup."

"Towels?"

"Yup."

"Good food?"

"Yup."

"Slater."

"What?"

"Do you have your swimsuit?"

I paused. I was in charge of packing everything else, but I guess swimsuit just slipped my mind.

"Are you kidding me Slater?"

"Ugh. I'll be right back."

I could hear Grant laughing as I dropped our beach bag by the door and went back to the bedroom to change. I shook my head at myself, and did my best to ignore Grant's smirk when I came back out.

"Got everything this time?"

"Yes. Shut up."

"I'm just trying to help. Don't want you to forget your head next time."

"Yeah yeah yeah. Whatever Oompaloompa."

Grant sighed heavily. "Am I ever going to hear the end of that?"

"Absolutely not."

****************

A few hours later, Grant and I were kicked back on beach chairs in the sand and enjoying the day.

"I am so proud of you right now," I said, turning to look at Grant.

"For what?"

"You're not canvassing the beach. It only took you six months to calm down, but you finally did it."

"Damn. I guess I haven't canvassed yet. That's not good."

"What?"

"I need to keep my skills sharp just in case."

"Oh no. You've got to be kidding me."

Grant sat up in his chair and started scanning the surf, then turned around to check out the parking lot.

"Grant!" I whacked him on the arm, but he just waved me off. "I shouldn't have said anything."

"I'm glad you said something. We can't start slipping just because we're not agents anymore."

I flopped back in my chair and rolled my eyes.

"Long-term retirement with you is sure gonna be a blast."

Grant shot me a look, then went back to his canvassing. I sighed, then went back to relaxing and resting. I wasn't gonna win this battle.

"Let me know when you're done with your scan," I said. "I want to go swimming once you're finished being weird."

"Will do."

Thankfully, it didn't take Grant long to scan everything. He said he was getting rusty, but as far as I could tell his skills were still at peak performance.

"You satisfied now?"

"I guess."

"Great. Then let's go swimming."

Grant smiled as I hopped up and grabbed his hand, pulling him towards the water.

"This remind you of anything?" he asked as we waded into the surf.