Chapter Twenty-Six

A/N: 3k 3k 3k!!! Yes!!! Also, quick shoutout to @stormyxlegacy for the encouragement. Thank you guys, I love you for all your support!! ❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️

****************

Ward and I waited for Marco and Tess to leave the bar and opt for one of the small tables scattered around the room, then we approached them.

"Marco and Tess?" asked Grant.

"Who wants to know?" asked Marco. He and Tess were both looking at us with extreme suspicion, and I realized this might be harder than anticipated.

"My name's Derek and this is my fiancee Kayla. We were referred to you by a friend of ours. We're big supporters of your movement."

"What friend?" asked Tess, if anything looking more suspicious.

"Cole Matthews," I said, without hesitation. SHIELD had kept his hacker identity intact, so we didn't have to worry about them knowing he joined SHIELD.

"Really? Well, why don't you two take a seat," said Marco.

Grant and I sat together, waiting for Marco and Tess to initiate the next move.

"So what is it you think you can do for us?" asked Tess, leaning forward on her elbows.

"Anything you need. We're not computer geniuses like the two of you, but we're tired of governments and secret agencies hiding things from the people. Anything we can do to help put a stop to that, we'd love to be a part of," I said. It was hard not to choke on the words as I said them, but I managed.

Tess and Marco looked at each other, still seeming a little skeptical, then turned back to us.

"Give us a minute to discuss," said Tess, gesturing for us to leave.

"Sure thing," said Grant. He took my hand and we stood together, heading back towards the bar.

"Think they bought it?" I asked.

"I think so. You were pretty convincing with your 'freedom of information' speech," he said.

"Thanks," I replied, rolling my eyes.

"Now we wait. Hopefully, they'll let us in."

"Do you think headquarters ever gets tired of us? I mean, we're set to pick up these two, and instead we're trying to infiltrate the Rising Tide."

"As long as we keep getting results, I'm sure headquarters will love whatever we choose to do."

He had a point. We each ordered another drink, then finally, Marco and Tess waved us over.

"Showtime," Grant muttered, taking the lead as we walked back towards their table.

"Alright, you want to join us? Fine. We've got an assignment for you to prove yourselves," said Marco.

I nodded to Grant. "What's the assignment?"

"Since you can't hack, you're going to do face to face stuff, which is much more dangerous," warned Tess.

Grant and I glanced at each other, then turned back to Tess with a determined look.

"Whatever it is, we'll do it," said Grant.

"Okay then. Marco and I were set to meet up with some people later tonight to get a few physical file folders on several large organizations withholding information. Since you both need to prove yourselves, you can go in our place," said Marco.

"Alright. Where's the meet and who's it with?" I asked, trying to sound all business.

"Down by the docks. You're meeting with the head of a tech firm, he should be tall and bald, wearing glasses. We have a code word to make sure we're meeting with the right people. You should say "The docks are nice tonight" and he will reply "Yes, they certainly are." Do you understand?"