Chapter Thrity-Three

After Grant left I went looking for FitzSimmons, but I was intercepted by one of my old teachers from SHIELD academy. Professor Thompkins, year-one strategy teacher.

"Samantha! You're just who I was looking for," she said.

"Hi Professor Thompkins! Why were you looking for me?"

"I was hoping you would agree to give the speech to our incoming recruits this year."

My mouth dropped open. "Seriously? I would love to! That would be so much fun!"

"Good! They're coming in two days, so you'll need to be at the academy tomorrow night."

"Perfect! I can't wait!" She smiled and gave me a nod before heading back on her way. I looked left and right to make sure the hallway was empty before completely losing it. "YES! I'M GIVING THE WELCOME SPEECH! I'M GIVING THE WELCOME SPEECH! HA!"

I punched the air as I jumped up and down, then looked around again to make sure no one had seen me. I didn't need people looking at me like I was crazier than I actually am.

Instead of continuing my search for FitzSimmons, I headed back to my room to start writing my speech. It was a while before I could even get past the first line. I kept hearing Grant in my head, mocking my openings. After hours of pulling my hair out and crumpling dozens of pieces of paper, I finally finished a pretty good rough draft.

Unfortunately, I felt like I was going crazy.

Just as I was getting ready to scream at the top of my lungs to let off some steam, my phone rang. It was Grant.

"Dude, you have no idea how good your timing is," I said, not bothering with the normal hello, "Please tell me you're calling to say you accidentally wound up in Paris, Texas."

"No, I'm definitely in France."

I sighed. "Oh well. Guess what?"

"What?"

"Professor Thompkins asked me to give the opening speech to the recruits!"

"What? Are you kidding? Why would she ask you and not me?"

"Maybe because you're in Paris? It's ok, I'll knock everybody dead and then I'll get asked back and we can do the next speech together."

"Fine. You better give a damn good speech then."

"Don't worry, don't worry, I will. You read my Siberia mission report, I'm an artist. Those kids are going to be so inspired that the academy's successful ranks double."

"Sure, Slater, sure. I'll believe it when I see it."

"You'll see it as soon as you get back! When is that, by the way?"

"Should be in a couple days. This is another recovery mission like yours, it shouldn't be a problem."

"You know, I said the same thing, and then Rising Tide leaked the location and everything went to hell.

"Wonderful. Hopefully I'll have better luck than you did."

"Seriously. Be safe. I'll see you when you get back, and call me if you need me."