Chapter Fifty

A/N: Hey guys, just a little reminder, as always, bold is in Grant's POV. Love you guys and thanks for the support! 😄❤️❤️

****************

I was in trouble.

I was supposed to shoot Thomas Nash so that SHIELD would think the clairvoyant was dead. That's why he was making jabs about Slater. To give me an emotional reason to kill the "clairvoyant" that wouldn't blow my cover.

I didn't shoot Nash. Garrett acted normal as we arrested Nash, but I knew he was angry. I don't know if he new Slater was the reason I hadn't shot Nash, but I sure as hell wasn't about to let her out of my sight, just in case.

I kept one arm around Slater the whole way back to the Bus, keeping one eye on everything around us. Once at the Bus, she went inside, and I stayed on the ramp to talk to Garrett. I had to keep him from going after her.

"What the hell was that?" asked Garrett, once we were alone. "You had one job, and that was to shoot Thomas Nash. How hard would that have been?"

"I know, sir, but you haven't been around Coulson as much as I have. He's getting suspicious that something's not right. If everything had come to an end that quickly and easily, he would've been suspicious."

"He still is."

"But not of me."

Garrett shook his head. "You had orders. Don't fail to follow them again."

I nodded curtly, and Garrett turned to leave. That was close, but I was confident he wasn't going to blame Samantha. I was still going to keep a close eye on her though.

****************

Once I was back on the Bus, I headed to my room. Grant had stayed behind to say goodbye to Garrett, and I desperately needed to do some reading or something to relax. After a few minutes, I heard a knock at my door.

"Come in," I called, not looking up from my book.

"Hey," said Grant, coming in with his own book in-hand. "Mind if I read with you?"

"Not at all." I moved over so there was space for Grant to sit down next to me. I put my head on his shoulder and kept reading. It was nice that we finally had some time to just relax, with nothing else to worry about.

We didn't move for hours, and it was dark outside the windows of the plane when I finished my book.

"Was it good?" asked Grant.

"Yes! Ugh, the next book in the series isn't out yet though, and it's killing me!"

"It's been a minute, tops."

"Yes, but I'm gonna have to wait two months for the next one! I want to start it now!"

"Think of it this way: It'll be a good way to practice patience."

I scowled. "Recovering from the freaking gunshot is my way to practice patience. Now I need some instant gratification."

Grant just shook his head and turned back to his book. I moved to grab the next book off the top of my TBR, but I stopped when I heard Fitz rushing past the door, sounding panicked.

I stood and opened the door.

"Samantha?" asked Grant.

"Fitz just went by, he sounded upset. I'm gonna go see what's wrong."

"I'll come with you."

We rounded the corner and headed towards the lounge, only to find Skye standing in the middle of the room and Fitz sprinting away.