::Chapter 13:: Run while you Can

For the first time in a long time, Charlie woke up on his own terms. More well rested then he ever remembered being, he rolled onto his back with a stretch. Forgetting for the time being what the day was, and allowing himself to enjoy the time alone.

It could well be the last moments of privacy he would have for months.

The peace was soon disrupted by the sound of his stomach rumbling, he had not eaten since he had first been put into the cell and now his body was letting him know about it. Charlie sighed, knowing that he could hardly go for a hunt.

He doubted that the guards were going to bring him steak for breakfast either.

Pulling his chains as far as they would let him go, he pressed his muzzle to the gap in the cell door, which allowed a very small amount of light from the outside world through. "Hello?" He asked with some caution.

Someone on the other side of the door audibly jumped at the sudden appearance of a wolf at the door, and he was rewarded with a smack to the muzzle with a butt of a gun.

Recoiling from the blow, he let out a surprised whine at the unexpected pain.

The same source of the original sound started swearing vehemently on the other side of the door. Something Charlie hadn't expected from a guard, he twitched his ears forward. It was the voice of a woman. Whereas every guard he had been assigned so far had been male.

She turned out to be full of surprises, "I'm so sorry." She whispered in a clearly panicked tone. "Did I hurt you?"

Biting back the retort which first lit his tongue, the girl seemed genuinely apologetic. A first for the palace guards. He shrugged his shoulders and sighed, "I'm fine, but who are you? Where are the numb-nuts who brought me here?"

Her laughter seemed to light the darkness, "As much as I want to disagree, I cant." She answered simply, trying to keep her amusement in check but it was too late. "They are saying their farewells upstairs, I was asked to keep an eye on you."

"What is your name?" Charlie couldn't explain the need he felt to know, but he did.

"I'm Briar," her voice was hesitant. As though she was careful as to what information she wanted to give out but then decided that a name held no power.

"I'd say nice to meet you, but..." This drew another chuckle from the woman. The sound made Charlie want to devote every moment of his remaining days making her laugh. "Can I ask a favour?" he asked when she had finished.

Another note of hesitation, "Sure..." she replied uncertain.

"You're not very good at this, what do you do normally?" Charlie asked, forgetting his hunger.

"I'm one of the healers," she admitted. "They told me you weren't in a position to do something stupid and that they wouldn't be long," her voice lowered a little, the annoyance coming through her tone. "What did you want?"

Blinking back to reality, "I'm starving. Is there anyway that you can get me something to eat?"

"I really shouldn't, I could lose my job for this."

"Father needs all the healers he can get, you wont lose your job for feeding a prisoner some table scraps." I could lose my life if I don't get fed, but he didn't voice the last part out loud. Someone else could lose their life if I don't.

She seemed to think for a moment, but thankfully her healer instincts seemed to surface and she let out a low sigh. "Ok, I'll get you something. But for the love of god don't do anything stupid."

Like what exactly? Charlie couldn't help but think, looking down at the chains binding his paws together. "I wont," he needed to keep this stranger on his side if he was wanting to eat. Plus it was an opportunity to see her face.