11- Dreams

AUTHOR'S NOTE: sorry this is so short! I needed a little "bridge" to get over to the next part in the story.

Alice's POV

"Alice, wake up!"

My eyes opened and my vision blurred as I saw the fuzzy image of Asa frantically shaking my shoulders.

"Alice!"

My head spinning and pounding like hell, I slowly sat up in a daze. I ignored Asa's overwrought pleas for me to follow him into another room and took in my surroundings.

For reasons unknown, I found myself sitting in a hospital bed, desperately trying to recall the memories of before I had blacked out. Scattered fragments of thoughts whirled around in my head, and Aunt Bea kept popping up in every memory.

What had happened to her?

The inability to focus and fully grasp the situation at had infuriated me, and it felt like someone had given me a hefty dose of laughing gas.

I was not laughing.

Instead, I saw doubled and triples of everything in the room, and whenever I spoke my voice sounded distant and slurred. Asa glanced over at me with four eyes and six hands.

"Alice!"

When I would not budge, he grabbed my hand and dragged me out of the room like a rag doll. Things flew past me in a blur; it felt like my brain had been filled to the brim with molasses. I couldn't recall anything before I had awoken, and it had taken me suspiciously long to figure out who Asa was.

He led me out into the hospital hall and raced into another room with a label I could not read. My eyelids became heavy and I felt the tips of my fingers go numb as I found myself beside Aunt Bea in a hospital bed. Next to her was a doctor who seemed familiar but I could not recognize as well as my parents.

At least, I think they were my parents?

"She's dead, Alice!" My mother shouted, tears welling up in her eyes. "Aunt Bea didn't survive!"

My drugged brain struggled to comprehend what was going on, but even so a pang of sorrow had rushed through me. Soon, I felt my cheeks growing hot and tears trickle down my face, but I did not know why I was so distraught. I mean, I didn't even know the woman that was lying lifelessly beside me. Something told me her name was Aunt Bea, but she couldn't possibly be my aunt? Could she? I've never seen her in my life!

"Alice, wake up!" Asa exclaimed, shaking my shoulders again. I looked at his with a perplexed expression as he began to repeat himself. "Come on, wake up, wake up!"

•••

"Ahh!" I bolted up in a frenzy stared wide-eyed at Asa, who was wearing a panic-stricken expression. "What..."

My voice trailed off as the sudden realization smacked me across my face. I was still in the moving ambulance, flustered and sweaty.

It had all been a dream!

I exhaled a heavy sigh of relief as I wiped away the sticky sweat from my forehead. Across from me, Aunt Bea was sitting and chatting with one of the nurses, as if nothing had ever happened.

Just then, all the memories came flooding back to me, drowning my brain in thoughts. Aunt Bea had clearly survived her heart attack, which meant we were probably riding to a hospital to check her for an otherwise clean bill of health.

"Aunt Bea!" I exclaimed widely, a exuberant grin spreading across my face. "You're alright!"

"You bet, Alice!" My aunt grinned warmly as she stretched out her arms for a hug. An overwhelming sense of joy surged through me as my spine was nearly cracked in half by my aunt's bear hug. Even though they practically broke you to pieces, I don't know how I could've lived without them.

Aunt Bea held me in her arms for almost a minute as tears started to roll down my cheeks. I silently thanked God for sparing my aunt and that she was perfectly happy and heathy again as I finally pulled away.

The doctor discreetly gestured me to leave so he could check Aunt Bea and I headed back to Asa, wiping the wetness from my swollen eyes. He beamed pleasantly that I had been reunited with my aunt as I plopped down next to him.

"Are you alright now?" He asked, slinging an arm around my shoulder. Butterflies swarmed in my stomach as I nodded truthfully.

For the first time in the past three days, everything was absolutely perfect.

For now.