14 - A Half-Kiss & A Bungee Cord

AUTHOR'S NOTE: Hey! I hope you're enjoying my story so far! A vote and comment would be lovely <3 can we get 50 reads on this chapter?

Alice's POV

We stood there hand in hand, the strong wind threatening to blow us off the bridge. Butterflies swarmed in my stomach and my legs turned to jello as I took a glance at the empty space below my feet.

"Are you ready?" Asa turned his head and gazed deep into my murky hazel eyes. I'm sure he could see the petrified expression in my face; normally I would turn away and try to conceal my emotions, but right now Asa looked almost as apprehensive as I did.

"Nope," I replied with a shaky breath. Once again I looked below me, but this time it terrified me almost 10 times more. I felt bile rise inside of me but I forced it down before I could puke all over myself and Asa. Maybe bungee jumping wasn't such a good idea after all.

"Let's go on the count of three," Asa suggested. I silently nodded, my arms and legs tensing and tightening up as I continued to stare wide-eyed at the ground below me.

What if my wire snaps and I splat on the ground? What if I get stuck and I can't get back up to the bridge.

"One..."

A split second of paralyzing fear shot through me as Asa began to count down. He squeezed my hand reassuringly but I was just as frightened as I was a minute ago.

"Two..."

I closed my eyes and bit my lip so hard it started to bleed. The color drained from my cheeks and I braced myself for the intimidating fall.

"One-"

"WAIT!" I cried, backing away from the ledge and yanking my hand out of Asa's.

"Alice, what is it?" Asa asked with concern. He walked over to me and tried to hold my hand but I pushed him away.

"I'm scared!" I shouted like a little child. "Asa I'm too afraid to jump!"

"Alice-"

"No I don't wanna do it! Parasailing and walking on stilts was alright but this is too much! I don't know what I was thinking!" I felt tears well up in my eyes but I wiped them away even before they had a chance to drop down my face.

"Hey," Asa put his arm around my shoulder and we locked eyes. I quickly broke the gaze and started at my feet. "C'mon, look at me." He gently pushed my chin up with his hand so I could look him right in his crystal blue eyes. Instantly I fell under his spell and I found myself unable to look away no matter how hard I tried. It was like I was falling for him all over again.

"Asa..."

"I know you're scared." He spoke in a loud whisper and continued to hold my gaze. "So am I, but I know that you can do this. Hell, you're Alice for God's sake. You're a crazy, strong, spontaneous girl and you've got a fire in your eyes that always makes me smile. I'll hold your hand the whole way through if you want, but I know you're not going to need it." He paused to think about what he had just said. "Well, you can hold my hand half of the way through, because once we bounce back you'll rip my whole arm off if you keep holding on with that kind of speed."

Asa came in a little closer to me and my heart began to flutter with a mix of anxiety and excitement.

Was he going to kiss me?

All the air was sucked from my lungs and I felt a warm sensation in my gut. Half of me was full-on ready for this moment but the other half had cold feet. I had been dreaming of Asa kissing me since the day I developed my crush on him, but now that it was so close to happening I was feeling a bit skittish and hesitant.

I wasn't ready.

I smiled and let out a little laugh as I turned away from Asa and walked back to the ledge. Asa followed me and was soon standing by my side. I tried to hide the fact that my heart was still in my throat after what had almost happened but I wasn't sure if I could keep such an emotion bottled up like that.

"Alright, let's go." I replied, a sense of

fearlessness coursing through my body. I wiped away the nerves from the almost-kiss and focused on the task at hand. Asa's pep talk had transformed my fear into a flaming determination, and this this time I knew I was ready.

Asa looked at me for confirmation that I was truly ready and I nodded in confirmation. He turned away and looked down at the picturesque scene below.

"Three, two-"

"WAIT!" I shouted again. Asa crossed his arms and stared at me, pretending to be annoyed. He raised an eyebrow and waited for me to speak

"What is it now?" He asked, dramatically rolling his eyes. I knew he was just joking, so I put on the act and rolled my eyes as well, mimicking him.

"This is going to sound really stupid and kind of weird." I stated, suddenly serious. "But can you say that line from Ender's game before we jump?"

"What?"

"Yeah! It'll make it so much more awesome," I pleaded. Asa out his hand to his head and started to laugh.

"Only you, Alice."

"So you'll do it?" I asked a little too enthusiastically. Asa grinned with that charming smile of his and said:

"Only for you,"

"Yes!" I clapped my hands together and jumped up and down with excitement. This was going to be a scene just like out of the movies.

"Oh my God, you're fangirling!" Asa began to jump up and down and playfully mock me. "OMG OMG!" He squealed in a high pitched voice.

"Hey, I don't sound like that!" I shot back, putting on a pouting face.

"You're crazy, you know that?"

"Yes, I'm aware."

"And that's why you're the best."

Once we let out our giggles, Asa and I lined up at the ledge again. For a moment we stood there in silence, and finally Asa glanced at me to see if I was ready for him to say the line. I nodded in approval and an overwhelming sense of joy and lightheartedness washed over me.

"Keep calm. Shoot straight. Here we go."

And with that, both Asa and I jumped from the ledge and plunged down to the unknown abyss of water below.