16- Yeah A Kiss

ALICE'S POV

Asa and I sat there picking up what was left of our sandwiches and fruit salad while continuing to shoo of the animals and ants that has swarmed our picnic like bees to honey.

"Well," Asa said, plopping down onto the blanket and taking a bite of a squashed ham sandwich. "This turned out fantastic."

"It's fine, it's not like this was the grand finale or anything." I replied, popping a grape in my mouth. "We still have more activities on the list,"

"No it's not fine," Asa stood up angrily and brushed off the crumbs on his shirt. "I planned the perfect picnic and spent all this money on a blanket and food..."

"Asa, it's fine. Things happen."

I awkwardly put my hand on his shoulder and forced back oncoming feelings.

As hard as I tried to keep the memory away, it slipped back into my mind. The 8th grade picnic incident had been the most humiliating experience of my life, and there was no way I would ever forget it.

"No, it..." I swallowed a lump of anger and backed away from Asa. "It had to be perfect! This picnic was supposed to make up for the one in 8th grade!"

"What are you talking about?"

Instantly I clamped a hand over my mouth, realizing what I had just let slip out. After a moment of panicked silence, I took a deep breath and discreetly rubbed my sweaty palms on my shorts.

"Asa you better sit down because I've got a story to tell."

For the next fifteen minutes, Asa and I sat cross legged on the picnic blanket as I poured out all my frustration.

"In 8th grade everyone knew I had a huge crush on this boy Nathan,"

"Whoa whoa whoa," Asa held his hand out with playful concern. "This Nathan kid wasn't cuter than me, was he?"

I laughed and gave him a friendly shove. "No, he wasn't. But I knew he didn't like me at the time, because I was probably the most socially awkward person to walk the planet. One day, he caught me by surprise and asked me to go have a picnic with him, and I said yes."

"Did he bring finger sandwiches?"

"Damn it Asa, this is supposed to be serious." I stated, stuck in the confusing state of balancing feelings of euphoria and sadness at the same time. "Anyway, I went to the park and Nathan and I sat down. I made a huge fool of myself by stuttering at nearly every sentence, but Nathan finally asked me to be his girlfriend. I was doubling over with excitement and I told him yes without hesitation."

"You're an eager beaver, young lady." Asa was clearly not getting the memo, but at this point I didn't really care if he was taking my seriously or not. I just needed to get the story off my chest.

"The next day at school, I became the laughing stock of the neighborhood. Kids pointed and laughed at me all day, and I had no idea why."

"Probably because you had something on your nose."

"No, Asa. It turned out Nathan asked me out on a dare. He let everyone in on it beforehand, and when I asked him what was going on, he explained the whole thing. He said he would've never actually gone out with me, even if someone paid him."

"You should've punched that kid right in the face. He deserved it."

"I wish I did, but instead I spent the whole day fighting back tears. My friends were there to comfort me but it was no use. For the rest of the year people always thought I was a joke,"

"Primary school probs," Asa took one look at my stony expression and dropped his grin. "Okay okay, I'm done messing around. But in all seriousness, that's absolutely terrible what that boy did to you. No one should have to be humiliated like that."

Asa put his arm around me. I didn't try to argue, so I leaned my head against his shoulder. Moments passed and we just sat there in the most uncomfortable positions, knowing that if we moved, everything that was building up would crumble.

Asa removed his arm from my shoulder and turned towards me. Butterflies swarmed in my stomach, and I knew that this would be the moment.

Sure enough, Asa began to move in closer, but instead of the gentle, long kiss I had hoped for, he gave me a peck on the cheek and stood up.

"If I ever meet Nathan I'm gonna kick him to China,"

With that, Asa began to fold up the blanket, acting like nothing had even happened. I stood up and moved to the grass, my eyes locked on the squirrel nearby. A million emotions surged through me, and I felt like I was going to be sick to my stomach.

Asa has had so many perfect opportunities to kiss me, and each time he fell short. I knew I sounded selfish for complaining about only getting a kiss on the cheek other people would pay to just be in Asa's presence, but I couldn't help it.

When was Asa going to kiss me?

AUTHOR'S NOTE: SORRY THAT WAS EXTREMELY CLICHÉ AND CHEESY IM JUST OUT OF IDEAS. VOTE IF YOY ENJOYED. ILL UPDATE SOON, BYEEE