5. If I Only Had a Brain

It was the first time, she felt the clasp of a male's hand around hers

It was the first time, she felt the clasp of a male's hand around hers. With her weak lungs working overtime, Teal's breathing was out of control. Her head swirled, and she half-blamed the drinks she'd ingested.

Once out of the club, and into the muggy evening air, he turned to her, with an uncertain smile.

"It's quiet."

She nodded and rubbed her hands together drying the sweat off them. "What's your name?" A timid smile drew on her lips.

"Daniel."

Daniel didn't ask for her name, nor was she expecting him to. She filled the uncomfortable void of silence.

"I'm Teal."

He nodded.

Teal noticed his eyes were dull but had a slight, almost unnoticeable tinge to them. Similar to her mom's, but not quite as much. It was interesting to see their differences, even though according to humans, they were supposed to be the same. Stupid, raw-brain-eaters, who are dead inside.

For reasons obvious to her, other zombies didn't notice these subtle differences but in their defense, neither had she. She'd been solely looking at her own. Teal wondered what other characteristics he might have, that might be different than the ones she already knew.

They fell silent and he looked around above her head, massaging the back of his neck. She, fixed her pupils on a few annoying flies, roaming over his pale face. Teal could tell he couldn't feel their tiny, sticky legs. She made a face and the thought to swat at them crossed her mind. Simply reach up and smack her hand on his face.

Maybe, he'd speak to her then ... even if it was with a loud yelp.

Instead, Teal lowered her eyes and looked at her laced fingers and played with her short, flaky nails.

"Come often?"

She lifted her eyes and narrowed her stare. The flies now buzzed over his head.

"No, never. It's my first time in this club. How about you?"

In this club? OnDead was the only one for a hundred miles. Her need to keep the conversation going was reeking desperation.

"Sometimes." He shrugged.

Silence. It had never been Teal's friend and made her uncomfortable.

"Sooooo, what do you normally like to do? Day or night doesn't matter. When you're not here–" Sickened by the small talk, she bit her tongue.

"Eat." He lifted his shoulders to his ears, then dropped them.

She expelled noisily and internally rolled her eyes. "Hmm, yeah. Brains I imagine? Brains are great," her stomach churned. "Anything else?"

Blah! Perhaps this is what vomiting feels like?

Teal focused on the insects buzzing around them, or perhaps the droning sound came from generators scattered about town, in the otherwise quiet night.