12. Brain Matter

"I've been giving a lot of thought to what I'm going to do with myself

"I've been giving a lot of thought to what I'm going to do with myself."

Teal's mother studied her face. She was carving off sections on a fresh human brain for dinner later that evening. "You," the sharp blade paused mid-question. "Have?"

Teal nodded.

"Honey, do you mind handing me that plate?" 

Teal reached for a large, silver-colored serving plate and handed it over. 

"Thanks," Morgan loudly sighed. "So, tell me. What's your plan?" She began to slice again.

Teal went to stand next to her mother. She nervously bit at a few nails on the fingers of her left hand. "As you know, I'm searching for aunt Rita. When I find her, if I can withstand the sun, I'll go live with her for a while. I want to find that TV Doctor."

Her mother stopped carving again and raised an eyebrow. "How do you plan on searching for her?"

"I found someone who's going to help me, Mom."

"Who?" Morgan's voice had a hint of alarm, but she masked it, keeping her cool. She should've known Teal would find some way of getting information. She was persistent and so persuasive.

"Marc."

Her mother furrowed. "And, who is Marc?"

"Marc!" She repeated as if that would remind her mother of who he was.

Morgan stared blankly at her child.

"The club owner. OnDead?" Teal grunted exasperated, "Jax's friend?"

"That Marc?!" 

Wait. What was happening? How did Teal know him? He was the opposite of Teal. 

"So, Marc-Marc? Did Jax introduce you?" A hint of more than curiosity lined her voice.

Biting her bottom lip, Teal shuffled her eyes. "Not precisely."

"So?" She gave a curt, questioning nod at her daughter.

Teal wondered why her mother looked so upset. He was Jax's friend, wasn't he? It couldn't be because she found out they'd shared a few kisses. Or had she? Nah ... She knew Samantha would never say anything about it to anyone. That one was like a crypt.

"I introduced myself the night we went out for my birthday."

"And you've kept in contact with him ever since?" She persisted.

What was happening? Teal asked herself. What was the unknown tone coming out of her mother's throat? Disapproval?

Sighing, she continued, "No. But after we met, I started thinking. Who would be able to get me into the human side? Or get me everything I need? Who has phone access and computers?" She shrugged. "He came to mind. He gets alcohol, TVs, lights. Everything. I'm pretty sure he'll be able to find aunt Rita"