17. Brains & Brawn

Earlier that evening

Earlier that evening ...

Distractedly, he glanced at his watch before dialing Art's number. Marc knew he was pushing it time-wise, but he had to find Teal before dawn. If 6 a.m. came around and he couldn't find her, she'd be delivered to the human morgue, in a wooden box, alive.

A chill ran the length of his spine. He didn't want to think about what they'd do to her there but he couldn't stop himself from doing so. The gory thoughts were impossible to ignore.

Marc's palm covered his eyes like when he used to have tension headaches as a teenager. Still today as a habit he did it when he was worried, even though he didn't get them anymore. Not since his heart stopped beating.

What if whoever found Teal, killed her? Or, dissected her, and sold her body parts to a lab? Even worse, what if they mercilessly experiment on her? Or, took her home as some exotic, caged pet?

Marc panicked. What if he didn't get there on time. He'd never forgive himself for the lack of attention. For losing her. There was also the, not so small issue of morning light, and the sun burning him to a crisp. But to him, that was secondary.

"Art! I didn't mean to call so late, but I got a situation with Kaya."

Art ran a hand through his bed head strands, before turning with a groan, to look at the solar-powered clock on his nightstand. 2:11 a.m.

"What's up brother?" He muffled a yawn.

"She put Teal in one of the corps boxes earlier, then Rocco took the boxes to the border. He didn't know she was in one of them."

"What the fuck?! Shit!"

Marc heard him sit up and turn-on the solar, bedside lamp next to him on the night table. "I told you that was one crazy zombitch. You thought I was the crazy one, for saying that."

"What did Kaya do?" Gisela questioned Art.

"Something stupid," he replied, then shushed her.

"Don't shush me."

Marc could clearly hear their conversation and impatiently waited for them to catch up.

"Yeah man, for the first time since I was a human teenager, I think I'm sick to my stomach! I have no idea why I was so blind to it. Teal tried to warn me about it earlier tonight but I brushed her concern off. I feel so fucking guilty, Art."

"Where is she?" Art muted the phone and mouthed back at Gisela, "She sent Teal to the border in one of the dead-zombie boxes."

"Aah, shit!" she whispered. "I told you. I've never trusted her."

"Fuck! Was it only me who thought nothing of this?!"

"You're preoccupied with other shit, Marc ... So, what did you do with her?"