EINH chapter 15*

*Chapter 15*

{Month 8}

"O'Reilly Graclyn Holmes, you know you should not be lifting that," Kai scolded as I put some pickles on a high shelf.

I held the jar in my hands and looked at it. "Kai, this weighs, like, a pound," I informed her, looking at her like she was crazy. Which she very well could be.

"And how did the boxes of pickle jars get here?" she asked, raising an eyebrow and crossing her arms.

I paused for a second, thinking of a good lie. "Johnny carted them over here for me," I said, shrugging.

"I call bullshit," she accused.

"Whatever, I used a trolly," I told her. It really was nothing. It hardly weighed ten pounds when I rolled it over here like that.

"Even though it dosn't feel like a lot, it's still putting strain on the babies, O'Reilly," she said. "You can't be doing that, especially when you're due in just a month."

I shrugged again. "My doctor hasn't told me otherwise," I told her. I continued to arrange the pickles as we talked.

"Isn't your appointment tomorrow?" she asked. I nodded and she continued. "I bet you anything she'll tell you you have to take your maternity leave from Houston's."

I sighed. "I know, Kai. I just need the money, and I don't want pull the 'I'm pregnant' card to get out of work."

"I know, Riles, but this is for your health and the babies' health now," she sympathized.

I sighed again. "I know. I promise I'll stop if she tells me I have to tomorrow."

"Thank you," she smiled.

"Can you take over for me?" I asked her. "My shift ended twenty minutes ago, and I really need to get home and finish an assignment I have due tomorrow."

"No problem," she smiled again. "See you later, Riles."

"Bye, Kai," I called to her, walking down the aisle to the break room. "I love you."

"Love you, too," she called back. I smiled as I waved my employee card and went into the break room.

I quickly pulled my apron off and threw it in my cubby. I grabbed my purse and clocked out before leaving the store and going home.

Before I even pretended to start my assignment, I laid down for a much needed nap. I turned on the TV and stopped on ABC Family since I knew I could stand most of the shows they aired. After only one episode of The Secret Life of the American Teenager I was out like a light, and I was asleep for the next two episodes.

I finally woke up at five-thrirty and got to work on that assignment. I poured myself a cup of coffee and sat down at the kitchen table with my laptop to type it out. After asking my doctor, I learned I was allowed to have one cup of coffee a day as long as I used a regular serving and I only used Sweet n' Low. I have abided by those rules ever since.

At around nine o' clock there was a knock on my door. I blinked my eyes a couple of times before getting up from my seat. My eyes were tired from looking at a computer screen for nearly three hours straight. I stretched as I walked to the door and felt my back crack. I sighed and opened my door.

There stood a smiling, but tired looking, Mason with a bag of what smelled like Chinese food in his hands. He bent down and gave me a soft kiss on the lips before walking inside. I closed the door behind him and smiled as he took of his coat and laid it over the back of my couch.

"I figured you were working on school stuff and were too busy to have eaten, so I picked something up and dropped by," he explained, walking into the kitchen and setting the bag on the table. "I hope you don't mind." He turned to me and rubbed the back of his neck with his hand,