EINH chapter 16*

*Chapter 16*

{Month 8}

"Miss O'Reilly?" Jason called from his room. I grabbed up his little sister and put her on my hip as best as I could. Things like this were becoming harder to do with my due date drawing nearer.

"Yeah, Jason?" I wondered as I peeked through his door. He was sitting on his bed with a book in his hands staring at it with a confused expression.

"What does this word mean?" he asked, holding out the book to me. I walked through the doorway and set his sister on his bed. I took the book from him and looked at the word he was having trouble with. He was reading the first Harry Potter book, which was amazing for a kid his age.

I skimmed the paragraph real quick and realized why he was having trouble. It wasn't like it was an actual thing that people used in real life. It was amade up thing that the author put in the book.

"It says 'Quaffle'," I told him. "It's a made up thing that the author came up with. But it's for the sport Quidditch and its one of the big balls that they use. It's kind of like a baseball or a football or a golf ball. Except in Quidditch, there's three different balls and the Quaffle is the biggest. Does that make sense?"

He took the book back from me and looked at the paragraph. Then he looked back up at me and smiled and nodded.

"Yeah, thank you."

"No problem, kid," I said, ruffling up his hair. He scrunched his face up at me as I picked up his sister and started laughing. I left his room so he could read in peace and went back into the living room.

I set Lizzy down near her toys and walked into the kitchen to see what there was for lunch around here. It was past noon, so the kids must be hungry.

"Jace, you hungry, bud?" I called back to him.

"Yeah," he called back, sounding kind of distracted. I chuckled a little before raiding the pantry for something to eat. I found a box of macaroni and cheese and went to see if there was butter and milk. When I was sure we had both of those things, I started boiling some water and cooked up their lunch.

I called Jason in to the kitchen about twenty minutes later and set a bowl of macaroni and cheese before him. He dug into it hungrily and was asking for seconds before I was even able to get his sister to eat. Little boys sure do eat a lot.

Their mom was home earlier than usual today since it was a Saturday. She paid me for the week since she actually had work off tomorrow and wouldn't need me. I smiled and thanked her and said bye to the kids before I headed home for a much needed nap.

It was only five o' clock when I got home and I knew there was going to be mail in my box already, but I didn't feel like getting it just yet. I wanted that nap first; I was seriously exhausted. I don't know how I was going to pull it off when the twins got here.

I took a nice hour nap and got up to start my dinner for one. Just as I was pulling stuff out to make a salad, my phone rang. I reached over and saw that it was my mom and answered it quickly.

"Hi, Mama," I greeted, a smile on my face. It felt like forever since I had talked to my parents, even though I had talked to them Thursday. It was so weird not living in their house anymore.

"Hi, sweetie," my mom said on the other end. "How would you like to come over for dinner tonight? You can bring Mason, too, if you want."

"Sure, Mom, I'd love to," I agreed. "Mason won't be there, though, he has to work late at the hospital tonight."

"Oh, well that's too bad." She didn't sound so upset about that. "Just come over in a few minutes, hon."

"Alright, Ma, I'll see you in a few."