EINH chapter 18*

*Chapter 18*

{Preston's POV}

I groaned when the light turned yellow as I approached it. I slammed on the breaks, thankful that there was no one on the road behind me. I tapped my fingers anxiously on the steering wheel as the other lights turned green unnecessarily. 

"Seriously?" I grumbled as a car pulled up to me in the left turn lane. Of course, the turn light turned green first and waited to turn yellow before my light turned green. I stepped on the gas, not really caring if there was any police around. I doubted there even were any over here, and I didn't care anyway.

Of course, with my phenomenal luck, every light I hit turned red just as I was getting there. It took me twenty minutes to get to a hospital that was five miles from my house.

The whole drive there I couldn't get my mind from thinking up all sorts of horrible things. My dad's note eluded to absolutely nothing, besides the fact that Riles was in the hospital. I had no idea if she was just here because of a minor injury that needed stitches and antibiotics or if it was more serious, like a car crash or she got really sick. Although, if it was a crash, there would've been signs of it around town. The streets were clear and the city was calm.

I finally made it to the hospital after much swearing on my part. I definitely hadn't left to Texas with those words in my vocabulary, but I sure did come back with them. Spending nearly a year in a bunker with fifty other guys around my age from all over the country definitely helped to introduce me to the regular use of vulgarity. My vocabulary hadn't been perfect when I left, but it definitely wasn't as bad as it was now.

I parked the car in the first empty parking stall I saw and hurriedly jumped out, making sure to grab my wallet in case they needed it. I locked the car and jogged to the front entrance of the emergency room. I saw an unfamiliar nurse sitting at the front desk and I hurried over to her, wondering if she had started here recently. I knew nearly everyone in the hospital thanks to my dad, but I had no idea who this chick was.

"Hello, how can I help you, sir?" she asked politely, without looking up from the computer in front of her. She finally looked up at me and she raised her eyebrows, waiting for me to answer.

"I'm looking for O'Reilly Holmes," I told her quickly, wanting to get to my best friend as soon as possible. Beacuse, not only was she my best friend, but she was the only girl I had ever loved. 

Yep, I loved my best friend, unconditionally. I had loved her since I first met her when I was four, though I didn't really realize it until we were in the sixth or seventh grade. Even then, I tried my hardest to deny it. I had no intentions of ruining our perfect friendship by telling her how I felt and having her not return the feelings. If I couldn't have her as more than a friend, I was perfectly content with just being friends.

"Okay, just a second," she mumbled, typing on the keyboard of the computer. "What's your relation to her?"

"She's a friend," I told her absently, my mind stuck on O'Reilly.

"You may not be allowed back because you're not related," she told me and my eyes snapped to her. She shrugged. "It just depends on where she's at, though. So, just hold tight while I bring up her profile."

I waited impatiently for a few seconds for the nurse to find what she needed. I prayed that O'Reilly was somewhere I could have access to. It would kill me if my best friend was seriously injured and I couldn't go back to see her. Then again, if I called my dad to escort me back, they would let me in no problem. It was always an option, just in case.

"You're in luck," the nurse finally announced. "She's in L and D, so you're allowed back." She smiled up at me until she saw the confused look on my face.