The Lights

After her short moment with her son who left a few hours ago to help Caesar with the dam, I was peacefully resting.

I hope Blue Eyes would change his opinion on humans.

That thought never left me as soon as he left. I was worried he would go down in a rebellious path full of hate and never understanding the similarities both humans and ape have.

The sound of someone approaching made her gaze snapped to Caesar and she rose up from their nest to greet him.

She was rewarded by a disturbing sight.

His fur was ruffled.

Blood was tainted on his knuckles.

And his breathing was somehow ragged as if he had gotten into a fight.

I looked at him in shock before regaining my composure and took his hand.

"You should be resting" he signed and me, I ignored him.

I led him to our nest and made him sit down while I went out to get a bowl filled with water and a cloth.

Despite the dizziness that often want through me, I made it back without stumbling (Ye hey To Me!)

I washed his hands in silence. I knew whatever fight he got involved into really shook him because he was spacing out a lot and his fists were clenching that I had to unclench them.

Oh Caesar, what happened?

***

When night came and all the apes gathered around to eat tonight's meal. I looked at Maurice and when Caesar wasn't looking I signed.

"What happened at the dam that made Caesar like this?"

Maurice frowned and signed "Koba, he threatened the humans and said Caesar placed shame on us ape kind and on his son" I was shocked and angry. I knew Koba hated humans and he was displeased with what Caesar is doing but I didn't think he would go this far to upset Caesar.

I saw Caesar and Blue Eyes conversing.

More like arguing.

From the corner of my eye I saw Koba looking at the argument between father and son.

Something was swirling in his eyes.

And whatever that was screamed "DANGER"

Blue Eyes abruptly stood up from his place and I immediately grabbed him.

He shrugged me off and I felt a stab go through my gut.

Whatever Caesar and Blue Eyes were discussing must have been hard for both him and Caesar.

I saw anger and frustration etched on Caesar's face.

I wanted to sigh at the two in exhaustion, placing them together was like putting two angry bulls in one pen.

I didn't say anything but I placed my hand on his chest and leaned on his shoulder.

How can I put two of the most stubborn apes I know to a compromise?