Chapter 5

The pair entered into the forest after being dropped of by Lillie's limo. It was damp and somewhat shaded from the sun, making it appear dim within. Walking side by side, with Lillie slightly leading the way.

"So Ash..." She broke the silence. "What do you think of Alola region?"

"It's great!" He exclaimed, "They're so many wonderful Pokemon here."

"What do you think of us? I mean the class and the professor?" She used the question as a means to also know what he thought of her.

"Well..." He paused to think. "You guys are a lot of fun." Was his answer. He continued to delve into the question. "Sophocles has so many cool gadgets. He reminds me of Clemont. Oh right! You don't know him, I traveled with him in the Kalos region."

"He must have been pretty nice if went across an entire region with him."

"Yeah, and his inventions were the coolest. Oh!" He remembered what he was originally talking about. "Right, before I got distracted. There's Kiawe, I love training with him. He's always so passionate about Pokemon and getting stronger. Same with Lana, she's going trying to become the best with Popplio. We even have a plan to go fishing sometime later."

"Oh..." Lillie responded, feeling a bit of jealous. "Like a date?"

"What's that?" He answered.

"Huh? You mean you don't know."

"I have no clue what you're talking about. Is it like going out to catch Pokemon?"

"N-no. It's" She felt shy trying to explain it to him. "It's went a boy and a girl, go someplace together alone."

"Oh, so like what we're doing right now."

"That's not what I meant!" Her face flashed beet-red. She felt her body heat up instantly. "W-w-we're just two friends."

"Now you're just confusing me." Ash looked at her in bewilderment. "Wait, now I get it. It's romantic isn't it."

"Yeah, that's what I meant." Lillie caught her composure.

"Ok I understand now. You looked just like Lana when her sisters asked if I was her boyfriend." He laughed. "I guess girls can get a little embarrassed about these thing, but I don't know why you'd get so flustered about something that isn't true."

"I guess you're right." After walking for a while in the forest, they finally reached a clearing, somewhat dim aside from one area where the sun shone through. In it was a small rock, just big enough for someone to sit on. As they continued inward, Ash admired the scenery.

"This place looks wonderful, How did you find someplace like this?" He asked.

"Well actually, this place holds one of my dearest memories." She began. She explained that as a kid, probably about five years ago, she had gotten separated from her mother and brother. For a five year old child, that was an extremely frightening experience. "I was so scared, I thought that I'd never see my family ever again."

"I can imagine so. What happened next?"

"Well, it was dark, and I remember sitting right here." She sat down on the rock. "Because it was the only place that was lit. From here, the rest of the forest seemed so threatening." As the young Lillie sat there, crying in fear, she noticed eyes peering out from the darkness. "I didn't know what it was, but I thought for certain that something bad was going to happen to me." She had braced herself in fear as the thing approached her, scared she closed her eyes. But all of a sudden, she simply heard a weak sound of a whimper. When she opened her eyes, a Lillipup greeted her vision. It looked at her confusingly, wondering why she was so scared. "Looking back, I don't even know why I was so scared." She laughed.

"Lillipup? Wait, was that the same one from the photo?" She nodded.

"Yes. That Pokemon kept me company while I waited for my family to find me. I almost forgot I was even lost in the first place." She stopped, her smile wiped off her face. "I wish it could still be like that."

"Lillie?" Ash asked, concerned over her change in demeanor. "What's wrong?"

"Oh Ash, I'm sorry. I didn't mean to get sad. It's just that, I love Pokemon. But I can't even get close to them anymore." Tears were flowing down her eyes. "Why? What's wrong with me!" Her voice rose, almost to the point of screaming.

"Lillie!" Ash grabbed her by the shoulders. "Lillie please." She stopped, looking him in the eye. He had a much more serious look now. But it only appeared for a moment, before he smiled at her. It calmed her, and she felt more at ease with him holding her. She looked down at snowy, whom now was rubbing up on her leg.

"Ash..."

"Listen, I know it's hard right now. But believe me, I know you can do it." He started. "Trying to be a Pokemon master hasn't been easy either." He went on to her detailing his journey thus far. How he had first met Pikachu and his many victories across every region, as well as all of the bitter defeats.

"You've been in six league tournaments and only made runner up first? I think I'd get discouraged after just one."

"I'm not worried about the losses. And I've never finished outside of the top 16, which I've been told is good for the number of tournaments I've been in."

"But you never seem to have any problems with Pokemon. All of the ones you have love you so much and you return so much affection back."

"Believe me I've had plenty of problem Pokemon."

"Really?" She was shocked to hear that he would even have any trouble with Pokemon.

"I've learned a lot, thanks to them though. Some of my strongest Pokemon gave me quite a bit of trouble, but I never gave up."

That exactly what I like about you. She thought, then paused.

"Lillie?" Ash wondered why she now had a blank stare after being so talkative.

This is why what everything everyone's been talking about is true. This is why I'm in love with you.

"Lillie?"