Chapter 3

Author's Note: Hey guys! Chapter 3 is up! I was hungry while writing the first part, so lots of foody descriptions lol. :) I have not forgotten about Enna asking Jack about another tattoo. It's coming, I promise. And I know my first chapter was the longest. More long ones will be up before i finish the story. Hopefully. Feedback is very welcome! Enjoy!

***********************************************************************************************

Enna's POV

My entire body aches and my head throbs as I lay on my bed. I can see the sunlight filtering through my closed eyelids, and I squint against it. I remember last night vividly. I was tying up the sails during the storm, and while I swung back to the deck, a bolt of lightning struck the rope i was swinging from. The rope broke, and threw me into the relentless waves of the murky ocean. I had gone in very deep, and my ears had popped, and I had almost not made it to the surface in time for a breath. I was only just strong enough to swim to the life ring my Father had thrown out to me. I hung on to that for my life as he hauled me aboard. I could still feel the fatigue from the night in my bones and my muscles. I could barely move even my fingers. I felt hot, but I couldn't find the energy to even throw the blankets from my body. A light knock sounded at my door, and it opened, revealing my Father.

"How are you feeling?" he asked, coming inside, carrying a tray of food.

"What's that?" I ask weakly, looking at the tray.

"Breakfast. You need to eat up. You spent a lot of energy last night." He puts the tray on my bedside table. It is filled with food; a sliced apple, a sliced and peeled orange, grapes, cheese, boiled eggs, ham, and bread with butter spread over it. He pulls a bottle filled with clear liquid from inside his coat and sets it beside the tray.

"You're giving me vodka?" I question, scrunching my nose up in disgust. My Father chuckles.

"It's distilled water. Just drink it, and eat at least half of everything." He gives me a stern look before leaving me alone to devour the food before me. I struggle to sit up, but eventually manage it, and toss the heavy blankets off of me. I pick up an apple slice, and bite into it, crunching down on the morsel. The tart juice flows over my tongue as I chew, and I take another bite. When I finish the two apple slices, I take a bit of one of the boiled eggs, which have been lightly salted. Then I move on to the ham, tearing a piece off with my teeth. The meat is rich with salty, hammy flavor, with just the right amount of tender fat. I take a handful of grapes, and pop a few into my mouth, bursting them open with my teeth, the sweet juice exciting my tastebuds. Next is the cheese, which is rich and creamy and has little bits of spicy pepper flakes in it. I move onto the sliced orange, slicing into the tender flesh with my teeth, tasting the citrusy sweet flavor. When half of the orange is gone, I pick up the bread with butter. I bite into the soft crust, tearing off a bite with my teeth. The butter adds just a bit of salty flavor as I chew. I swallow my food, and pick up the bottle, popping the cork out. I tip the bottle to my mouth and allow the liquid to flow into my mouth. It has no taste, but soothes my sore throat as I swallow. I put the bottle down to continue eating, taking a drink every few bites.

When I am finished, I lie back on my pillow and turn to the wall, putting my finger into a knothole on one of the boards, and pull the board out, revealing a small, box-shaped cupboard, hiden away into the wall. Inside it, I keep my journal, a bag of gold, a few keepsakes from my Mother, including a pendant she gave me. I pull my worn journal from the cubby, and place the board back into the wall. I open the weathered pages to where I have my pen marking my latest entry. I date the next clean page, and begin to write.

I woke today, my body sore from the night's events. Last night, we sailed through a great storm. Oddly, Father hadn't thought to wake me to help him with tying up the sails. So I went to deck, to see him struggling, and told him to keep pulling them up while I would climb up to the beams to tie them off. He objected at first, but it is impossible for one person to complete that particular task. Since we always keep the third mast of sails tied up, I only had to do the two frontal sets of sails. Father hates when I do it, especially during storms. But I'm not able to pull the sails up, yet. So there really is no other option. All was going smoothly at first. I had a few slips and near misses from the rain and wind, but all in all, I was doing well. When I was finally finished, I was swinging back down to the deck, when a bolt of lightning descended from the sky and blasted the rope I was swinging from. The rope disconnected, tossing me into the icy, thrashing waves. I had foolishly moved into a diving position, which propelled me further into the depths. I remember the weight of the ocean pushing down on me, and the slight motion my body made with the rise and fall of the waves. It was hard to make it to the surface, with my body just about worn out beyond movement, and the watered down weight of my clothes. Even so, I just managed to move my feet and kick myself to the surface, spying the life ring my Father threw out just a few feet away. I swam over to it and let him pull me aboard The Pearl. He took me inside and helped me into some dry nightclothes, and into bed. Upon awaking this morning, I could barely move until he brought me some much-needed food. Now, here I am, still questioning what exactly I want. I have no idea what my Father took from my confession the other day. All I know is that I need a change. I've loved all of the adventures as the daughter of Captain Jack Sparrow. But I can't help but look at the Isle and Auradon and feel a pull there.

I lean my head back on my pillow, staring up at the wooden ceiling, allowing the book in my hand to close on the pen. I briefly close my eyes with a sigh, then hear the door open, and look towards it. My Father comes in and walks over to the bed, sitting on the matress.

"Feel any better?" he asks, placing a hand on my knee comfortingly. I nod gently, giving him a small smile. I look down at my journal, running my thumb over the tough leather cover. "Talk to me, Enna. I know something's not right with you. You said yourself you want something different. What is it that you want, Little Sparrow?" he asks cautiously. I shrug my shoulders in response. He is silent, waiting for me to answer verbally.

"I don't know, Father. All I know is that whenever I look out at the Isle and Auradon, I just..." I look out my window, spotting the two islands in the distance. "I feel as if I'm being pulled there by something. I don't know. Is that crazy?" I look at him, unsure of myself suddenly. He shakes his head in answer.

"Nothing's crazy just because it's new and different." I look away from him, seeing the quiet sadness gracing his weathered face. He is silent for a second, but he isn't pushing me to talk. "Darling, if your little wings are aching to fly to a new adventure, who am I to hold you down?" I look to him again, and a small smile spreads over his features. I smile in return, tears brimming at my eyes. He cradles my face in his hands and plants a kiss on my forehead, and I wrap my arms around him, breathing in the smell of seawater and leather. He wraps his arms around me, his hand petting my hair affectionately. We stay like that a few minutes, just holding onto each other. "Get dressed and meet me on deck," he says, detaching himself from me and standing up, exiting my room. I climb out of my bed, and go over to my clothing trunk, opening the oversized chest. I pull the first pair of pants from the top of the stack of folded pairs, and the first shirt on top of the stack of shirts. I look to where my coat is hanging, and see water still dripping from the tail. I sigh and pull out a corset and one of my other coats, and another pair of boots, as mine are likely still wet. I remove the nightgown, and pull on the pants, and pull the shirt over my head. I tuck the bottom of the shirt into my britches, and open up the corset. This corset isn't laced up normally. When I had it fitted, the woman fastened the easy clasps on the front, then cinched me in with the laces. Since then, I have not undone the laces at all. So all I have to do is open the clasps, and wrap the piece around my midsection, suck in a big breath and hold it while I clasp it up and adjust my breasts so they are even. After looking in the mirror, I see that I picked the shirt that rests at the same level on my arms as it does on my chest, so basically, my shoulders are bare. I throw on my coat, which is smaller and lighter than my favorite one. I pull on my boots, and don my hat before heading out and down the hall to the deck.

The sun is glaringly bright this morning, but my tri-cornered hat keeps the light from my eyes. I locate my Father on the upper deck, where the ship's wheel is, and climb the stairs to meet him. He smiles as soon as he sees me, and tosses me something small. I catch the box-like item in my hands, and inspect it. It has a boxy shape, with the corners cut off, and a black half-sphere on the top of the box. I flip the item over, and on the bottom is an image of a sparrow flying in front of the sun setting over the ocean, the same image that is inked on my Father's wrist. His namesake. "Your compass?" I ask in confusion, and he nods at me.

"It's yours, now.What's our heading, Cap'n?" I smile, and open up the compass, standing still so while the needle spins around, stopping a few times before spinning again, until it finally settles on a direction. I follow the direction of the needle with my eyes, and find myself looking at the Isle of the Lost. I smile discreetly before lifting my arm to point towards it.

"To the Isle of the Lost," I announce, keeping my eyes trained on the speck in the distance.

"Aye-aye, Cap'n," he says, steering the ship in the direction I'm facing. I snap the lid of the compass closed, and loop the string through one of the loops on my corset, pulling the compass through the loop of the string and pulling it taut, so that the compass hangs from my corset securely. So begins my new adventure, I think to myself with a smile.